Lira's column ignores real issues of sexual abuse

To the Editor:

On behalf of the Rape Education Action Committee (REACT), I am writing in response to Gonzalo Lira's column, "My Education at Dartmouth" (Feb. 8, 1995). We are concerned that the focus of campus discussion about sexual abuse all too often revolves around the mythological victimization of the perpetrators.

Lira claims that "whether or not [he] did what [he] is accused of having done is not important." In fact, it is precisely the issue. We need to focus on the feelings of this and other survivors and how this community responds to abusive behaviors. There are ways in which we can reframe this discussion in order to prevent sexual abuse.

In roadshows, we talk with our audiences about how sexual assault is on a continuum of sexist violence, including more "everyday" events such as sexist jokes, jealous or possessive behavior and unwanted touching. We encourage audience members to examine their own behaviors, and we urge women to trust their instincts in uncomfortable situations. We also encourage women to take self-defense courses to learn to protect themselves.

Can we find fault with Lira's former friend who crossed the street once she learned of his suspension? Who wouldn't feel uncomfortable? Who wouldn't want to protect herself?

Although he never articulates it in his column, Lira has been made the scapegoat for the many nameless perpetrators whose assaults remain unreported. The major hypocracy is not that Lira has fulfilled his punishment and is being ostracized, but rather that the Dartmouth community blames him while at the same time it continues to perpetuate similar behaviors.

We urge the Dartmouth community to re-focus the conversation where it belongs: on the prevalence of sexual abuse on this campus, the ways we can change our harassing and/or abusing behaviors and the many educations that have already been disrupted.