June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Libre and Barbary Coast perform with energy, excitement

In one of the finest jazz performances of the year, the Barbary Coast and New York-based Latin jazz band Libre gave a spirited, energetic and electrifying performance on Saturday night before an enthusiastic audience.

There are quite a few jazz bands which can gather up the energy to perform one or two fast numbers, but what set Libre apart was their incredible stamina to play several tunes at blazing tempos with a high level of intensity. The spectacular rhythm section of Arturo Farrill (piano), Manny Oquendo (timbales, percussion), and Andy Gonzalez (bass) achieved a level of communication that bordered on telepathy - the trio was locked so perfectly in step that they sounded like a solo voice by themselves.

Especially impressive was Gonzalez, who not only displayed unfailing technical command over the bass, but complemented technique with an uncanny ability to stimulate melodic dialogue within the rhythm section.

The musical director of Libre, Gonzalez played in various meters and tempos, without losing the booming, symmetric sound that provided a solid frame of reference for the rest of the band. It was not rare to hear Gonzalez go from a slow introduction, playing quarter notes, to playing a walking bass-line of sixteenth notes within a matter of a few seconds.

A pleasant surprise on the piano was Arturo Farrill, whose playing showed a strong classical and jazz influence. He provided steady accompaniment throughout and had brilliant solos on the ballad "Lover-man" and "Move it!" His rich harmonies and lyricism added considerable emotional color to Libre's overall sound. He has a driving right hand with which he voices expressive melodies, especially in the upper octaves of the keyboard.

Very little needs to be said about Oquendo, whose virtuosity shines through in every song he plays. Perhaps the most energetic member of the band, Oquendo brought a relaxed, informal feel to the concert, chatting and joking with the audience between songs. During the tunes, however, Oquendo remained focused, accenting his playing with a distinctly original percussion style.

Joined by Gonzalez, Oquendo and trombonist "Papo" Vasquez, the Barbary Coast performed during the first half of the concert. The Coast, which, among other awards, has won citations from DownBeat magazine, played with plenty of vigor and excitement.

The group boasts a strong horn section, with several talented soloists among its ranks. Some of the most impressive solos of the evening came from trumpeter Kazu Munakata '96, who displayed a solid understanding of tone, dynamics and control. Alto saxophonist Tony Jurado '98 also added intelligently constructed, adventurous solos.

The polished formalist of the group, pianist Luis Scheker '95, along with bassist Todd Miller '95 and drummer Sean Paley '94 sounded remarkably tight, especially while backing vocalist Neisha Powells '95 during "Who can I turn to?" and "You'd be so nice to come home to." Powells' displayed a stunning range during her two solos, consistently hitting high notes in "You'd be so nice to come home to."

The Coast finished off their set with "Mambo Inn," which elicited an enthusiastic response from the audience, and set the mood for Libre.

At the end of the concert, the audience rose to its feet for a standing ovation, most appreciative for a night of excellent jazz.