Gilmore 94, Lonergan '97, named Players of the Week

The Dartmouth basketball teams swept four games this weekend, so it should not be surprising that Dartmouth also won this week's Ivy League Player of the Week honors.

Guard Sea Lonergan '97 was named men's Ivy League Player of the Week for the third time this season for his play in two Dartmouth victories last weekend. Lonergan, after twice being named co-Player of the Week, makes a solo appearance for the first time.

Guard Betsy Gilmore '94, last year's Ivy League Player of the Year, earned the women's Player of the Week honors for the first time this season.

Lonergan is the only player to be named men's Player of the Week three times this season. The University of Pennsylvania's Jerome Allen has earned the honor twice.

Lonergan led Dartmouth to wins over Yale and Brown this weekend, leaving the team alone in second place in the Ivy League standings.

He shot 8-15 from the floor in both games, tallying 43 points, three rebounds, 13 assists, one block and four steals in the weekend sweep.

Lonergan currently leads the league in scoring with 17.2 points per game and is among the top ten in field goal percentage (.479), assists (3.8 average), three-point field goal percentage (.427) and free throw percentage (.775).

Lonergan has now won the award two weeks in a row after tallying 35 points, the most by anyone in an Ivy-League game this year, against Cornell two weekends ago.

Gilmore led the women's team to victories on the road over Yale and Brown last weekend, leaving the team alone atop the Ivy League Standings and well-positioned to earn the League's automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

In last weekend's games, Gilmore tallied 21 points on 8-13 field goal shooting. But Gilmore's major contributions do not all show up on the scoreboard. She dished out 17 assists, including a season high 10 at Brown, while only turning the ball over three times. Gilmore also swiped eight steals and pulled down seven rebounds.

Gilmore currently leads the Ivy League in steals, averaging four and a half per game, and ranks third in assists with 4.9 per game.

The men's basketball team travels to Penn on Friday night and Princeton on Saturday night while the women host Penn on Friday and Princeton on Saturday.