Dartmouth warns of book thief

A recent rash of book thefts from colleges in northern New England prompted Safety and Security to warn Dartmouth students of people posing as book buyers.

In an electronic-mail bulletin, Crime Prevention Officer Rebel Roberts said the thefts are believed to be the work of an organized ring of thieves.

The thieves generally approach people in residence hall rooms or offices, Roberts said.

"We believe the thieves send a representative to try to buy books during regular working hours, and this gives them an opportunity to see what is available," the bulletin states.

Roberts said the thieves then re-enter the building at night, force open the door of the room and steal the books.

Roberts said some of the thefts have occurred in the past two months. She said nearby campuses that have experienced thefts include Plymouth State College, Rivera College, New England College and Saint Anslem College.

Up to 60 books have been stolen in an evening, according to the BlitzMail bulletin.

Roberts said Safety and Security posted the bulletin because "it's important information to give the Dartmouth community as a preventative measure."

Students who are approached by a book buyer should contact Safety and Security, Roberts said. In addition, she said students should mark their books clearly with the their name or department.