Dartmouth skiers finish second in Winter Carnival

Friday night was perhaps a sleepless one for the Dartmouth Ski Team. The racers believed that for the first time in 11 years, they had a chance to win their own Carnival. Whether it was nerves, lack of sleep or just rotten luck, the team did not fulfill its dreams this weekend.

The University of Vermont edged Dartmouth out of the win, perhaps avenging some hostility over having to share first place with Dartmouth at UVM's Carnival last week. The University of New Hampshire finished third

Saturday was a big letdown for men's Nordic team, which finished in first the day before. Captain Cory Smith '96, Colter Leys '96 and Brant Stead '96 each finished in the top five in Friday's 15K Classical race, giving Dartmouth the lead.

But in Saturday's 30K freestyle relay, the men did not manage to pull ahead. Dartmouth finished the relay in fourth place behind UVM, Middlebury and St. Lawrence.

The Nordic women, who finished second in Friday's 10K classical, took third behind UVM and Middlebury in Saturday's 15K relay. Captain Heather Eliassen '95, Valerie Wrenholt '97 and Denali Kemppel '96 each skied five kilometers in the relay and worked together to give Dartmouth a great finish in a difficult event.

The Dartmouth Skiway played host to some of the fastest skiers in the East this weekend when Friday's giant slalom and Saturday's slalom races took place.

The men's alpine team had a very successful day on Friday, edging out UVM by only one point and winning the giant slalom event. Saturday, however, the team had some troubles and finished the slalom race in second.

J.P. Daigneault '97 was disqualified for straddling in his first run, so Jeremiah Thompson '96, Captain Andrew Martin '96 and Kyle Webb '97 had to make up for the loss.

They did. By coming in respective fourth, sixth and 13th places, they gave Dartmouth a strong second place finish.

The Dartmouth alpine women were not so lucky. They finished fourth in Friday's GS race and fifth in Saturday's Slalom.

Captain Jesse James '95 finished ninth on Friday, but improved the next day by placing fourth. Laura Turner '98 took eighth in the GS, but placed 25th Saturday.

UVM won the women's alpine events on both days. On Friday, Middlebury and UNH tied for second. Saturday, Williams managed to get in third place behind Middlebury and UNH took fourth.