College reconsiders moving freshman parents weekend

The College is currently considering changing its plans to move Freshman Parents Weekend to the Fall term.

Dean of Freshmen Peter Goldsmith, who originally suggested the move, said he is now "rethinking his position on the issues."

Goldsmith said he will release a memorandum discussing the future of Freshman Parents Weekend, which is currently held in the Spring term, within the next two weeks.

Goldsmith said he was originally "very much" in favor of the move, because he thought the College lacked an event in the fall for the parents of most entering students.

The College announced in May that it would move Freshman Parents Weekend for the Class of 1999.

But members of the Coalition of Class Officers, a group made up of the presidents and vice presidents of each Class Council, voiced objections to the move.

"Freshman Parents Weekend is more of a chance for freshmen to show off Dartmouth to their parents than for the administration to orient Dartmouth to the parents," Class of 1996 Vice President Tom Caputo said.

Caputo said he was concerned that if the College moved the weekend to the fall, "it would be too informational because not too many students know enough about Dartmouth in the fall."

Caputo said moving the event to the fall would also prevent freshmen from planning the weekend.

"The great thing about Freshman Parents Weekend is that it has been very much planned by students," Caputo said. "Once you move it to the fall, students can't do it."

Class of 1996 President Brandon Doherty said when freshmen help plan Freshman Parents Weekend, they gain experience they can use when planning Sophomore Family Weekend during their sophomore summer.

Goldsmith said he listened to the concerns of the student leaders.

"I take the concerns of the students very seriously," he said.

Goldsmith said he also realized some parents would not come no matter when the event was for financial reasons.

Still, Goldsmith said he would like the College to have some kind of event for parents on the first day of Freshman Orientation.

He has proposed that the administration make a presentation to the parents of first-year students when the students are at computer orientation.

In addition, parents would have the opportunity to talk to representatives from certain College offices, such as Residential Life and Financial Aid, to get more information on how the College works, Goldsmith said.

Goldsmith said the memorandum is currently being discussed within the administration and said there still are some financial concerns.