College artists answer 'Call of the Wild'

The heroic dog, Buck, in Jack London's "The Call of the Wild" traveled far from home to become a rough and tumble sled dog somewhere north of the Arctic Circle.

If the two winning entries for this year's Winter Carnival poster and t-shirt contests are any indication, however, Buck seems to have traveled south this year for Dartmouth's annual frost-fest.

With a giant wolf looking on from the background, the winning poster by Gabrielle Tito '98 shows a wolf ascending a staircase to the top of Baker Tower.

Tito said she arrived at the idea for her poster through a very organic creative process.

"I was basically just drawing and kept going with the idea," Tito said.

Though she is just a freshman at the College, Tito's experience with art stretches far back.

Tito graduated early from her high school last year and then studied with an architect at the University of Design in Rome, she said.

From the experience, Tito said she developed an interest in architecture that she has pursued vigorously at the College -- she has taken four studio art courses already.

Tito said she decided to come to a liberal arts college instead of studying architecture at a more specialized school so she could be more receptive to new ideas.

"I thought that it would be much better to get a fuller education in a liberal arts school," Tito said.

"So far I really love it. I think it's a really great place," Tito said of the College.

Tito said she has no plans yet as to what she will do with her $100 prize-money.

"I really don't know," Tito said.

"My parents say go splurge but I haven't come up with any ideas yet," she continued.

Whereas Tito's win came during her first year at Dartmouth, Ben Means '95 has entered the contest every year before winning on this, his last year at the College.

Means won $50 for his design, showing a wolf's head in front of Baker Tower.

Means, an English major, has drawn cartoons for The Dartmouth during his four years at the College.

Means has also done free-lance illustrating for Mount Lebanon Magazine in Pittsburgh, where he worked as an intern during high school.

"I've not taken any art classes here," Means said. "My only background is a grandfather who is an artist and has had lifelong interest in drawing."

"Probably before I could talk I could draw," he said.

Means said he has learned what makes a better t-shirt and poster design during the course of his time at the College.

"They really have to hold up well from a distance," Means said.

"I really made sure you can tell there's a blue area, there's a black area, there's a white area," he said.

His time here has also seen an evolution in his drawing style.

"I think it's gotten a lot looser. I think I've become more of a cartoonist," he said.

With this loosening, his interpretation of the human figure has also grown more casual.

"Now I think they're more stylistic," he said.

"Sometimes they'll have three fingers, sometimes they'll have less than that, especially if they're an Emmitt."

Means said he has enjoyed his time at the College and looks forward to his last Winter Carnival.

"Yeah, it should be a good time," he said.

Means currently illustrates "Rough Winds" for The Dartmouth.