Ceremony gets weekend off to explosive start

The 86th annual Winter Carnival began with a bang last night, as fireworks illuminated the newly-completed snow sculpture and College President James Wright reminded people of the sense of community that Carnival brings.

Wright's speech stressed the tradition and sense of community involved in the celebration of Winter Carnival.

"Even though Dartmouth's motto is, 'A voice crying in the wilderness,' the College is not isolated, because it is a community," Wright said. "Carnival is a celebration of tradition and I welcome the sculpture to the Dartmouth community."

Wright said a "lovely swan" emerges each year out of the mess of ice, wooden boards and chicken wire in the center of Green, regardless of campus skepticism.

Wright said this year was his 26th Carnival.

Fireworks then exploded over the Green as Wright proclaimed, "Let Carnival commence and the Games begin."

The construction of the sculpture was even further complicated this year, Wright said, because the committee decided to go back to the traditional method of construction.

Tamara Busch '95, co-chair of the Winter Carnival Committee, opened the ceremonies, welcoming everyone to the ceremonies as the Big Green ski team paraded across the Green carrying Roman candles.

Busch encouraged the entire student body to participate in the many activities scheduled for the weekend, including a polar bear swim, the "Winter Whingding" concert and a 99-cent day at the Dartmouth Skiway.

Dion del Monte '95, captain of the men's hockey team, followed Busch to the podium.

Del Monte applauded the efforts of the Snow Sculpture Committee and urged everyone to attend Big Green sporting events this weekend.

Men's and women's skiing, cross country, hockey, men's squash and men's basketball will all compete at home over the next three days.

After performances by the Decibelles and the Dodecophonics, Trish Bankowski '95, snow sculpture chair, made a speech.

Bankowski described the many obstacles that hindered the completion of the sculpture, including 60 degree weather, no snow and a blizzard the weekend that construction was to begin.

"Honestly, I'm really shocked that it's done right now," she said.

Performances by the Rockapellas and the Aires followed Bankowski.

Timothy Chow '96, co-chair of the Winter Carnival Committee, said he felt the ceremonies were a huge success.

"Opening ceremonies went tremendously," Chow said. "The sculpture is fantastic, the groups sang really well and the fireworks really made it a special event."

Students said they enjoyed the opening ceremonies.

"It was great to sense the enthusiasm and energy for the upcoming weekend," said Tina Rutar '98.

Wendy Katz '98 said, "The opening ceremonies set the right mood for Dartmouth Winter Carnival."