Wright takes over as acting president

As Acting College President James Wright settled into his new office yesterday, he received a phone call from the man he is filling in for -- College President James Freedman -- who called to wish Wright luck on his first day on the job.

Wright, acting president until Freedman returns from his six-month sabbatical in June, said yesterday as he reviewed the day's hectic schedule, "I have had a full day of appointments and have not had a chance to reflect" on the new position.

But Wright, sitting behind his new desk on the second floor of Parkhurst Hall, said the position is not completely different from his usual position as Dean of the Faculty.

His basic tasks of taking care of administrative details and meeting with members of the Dartmouth community were "the same in Wentworth [Hall] as they are in Parkhurst," he said, except that "all the discussions I have had [as Acting President] have dealt with different topics and with people from different areas of the College."

Although Freedman called Wright yesterday morning, Wright said the two will not be talking too often during the next six months.

College Spokesman Alex Huppe said Freedman "will only be called if there is no other option ... the general plan is to keep him as free as possible from obligations."

In an earlier interview with The Dartmouth, Wright said he will not make any policy decisions or decisions that will have lasting effects on the College without consulting Freedman.

Wright said he enjoyed his first day on the job.

"The people I have met with have been pleasant, supportive and encouraging," he said.

Wright said Freedman will return to the College for a short period in the near future, but will then return to Boston where he has an office at Harvard Law School for the next six months. He will be working on his book, "Idealism and Liberal Arts Education."

Freedman's sabbatical, his first extended period away from work since 1976, when he was at the University of Pennsylvania Law School, was suggested by the Board of Trustees.

Freedman was diagnosed with cancer last April, and recently finished six months of chemotherapy.

Chemistry Professor Karen Wetterhahn is acting as Dean of the Faculty in Wright's absence.