Nordic team races well

Because of the unseasonable weather in New England, the Johnson State College Carnival did not take place in Sugarbush, Vermont last weekend as scheduled.

The alpine races were canceled, but the cross-country races were held a few hours north of Hanover, in Mont St. Anne, Quebec.

Both teams fared extremely well against more than a hundred competitors in Sunday's open race. Because of the lack of snow in New Hampshire, the team could not train as much as it normally does.

In the men's 20K freestyle race,Colter Leys '96 placed in third with a time of 62:03.

Captain Cory Smith '96 finished only three seconds behind Partanen.Brant Stead '96 finished eleventh with a time of 66:33. The three finishes earned first place for the Big Green men.

"It was a challenge not being able to train as much as would be ideal, but Cory, Brant and I did a lot of skiing out west last term, so I think that helped us quite a bit," Leys said.

The women were not as successful as the men,but still earned some impressive results against 59 competitors. Captain Heather Eliassen '95 finished ninth in the 15K race with a time of 61:11. The winner of the women's event was Astri Syse of UVM, who finished with a time of 55:28.

With three of its competitors placing in the top ten, UVM was the team winner of the women's race. The Dartmouth team, with the help of Valerie Wrenholt '97 (11th place) and Danielle Fillion '96 (17th), placed fifth in the event.

The conditions in Quebec were a little challenging for the competitors, but both teams pushed themselves to do their best in the first college Carnival of the year.

"We went up on Thursday to St. Anne's, so we were able to ski the course on Friday. The weather was good, but we got eight inches of powder on Friday night, so that slowed us down a bit. It was a fun race, though," Eliassen said.

This weekend, provided conditions improve, both the alpine and the cross-country teams will travel to the St. Lawrence University Carnival in Lake Placid, N.Y.