Frisch leaves Hop

Norman Frisch recently resigned as programming director of the Hopkins Center for the Performing Arts after only a year in the position.

Frisch, who said he tried to bring innovative programming to the College, said he chose to leave because he decided the job did not suit him.

"There are a lot of things that go into making a job the right job for a person," Frisch said. "I think when people have worked together for a year it's really enough time to see if it should be a long term relationship or not."

Since The Hop plans all its performances about a year in advance, the programming worked out by Frisch will run until the end of Spring term.

Hop Director Lewis Crickard said Frisch "left the core of next year's season pretty much defined."

Marga Rahmann, The Hop's associate director, said the center has not yet decided when to start the search for a new programming director.

"What we're hoping to do is find someone to help us as a consultant," Rahmann said. Until then, Rahmann said the rest of The Hop's staff will work together to plan programming.

Frisch will spend the coming weeks editing a book on the Los Angeles Festival, a six week-long arts Festival that takes place every three years in Los Angeles, where he worked as an associate director before coming to Dartmouth.

"Beyond that I really don't have a vision yet," he said. "I certainly hope to be back visiting this year at Dartmouth."

Staff Writer Jeffrey Beyer contributed to this article.