CFSC elects officers

Matt Raben '96, a brother in Theta Delta Chi fraternity, was elected president of the Coed Fraternity Sorority Council at a meeting in Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity yesterday afternoon.

Raben beat out April Whitescarver '96, a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority, and Phil Ferrera '96, former president of Beta Theta Pi fraternity, to head the internal self-governing body of the College's Greek houses.

Raben, who is Theta Delt's vice president, said he hopes the CFSC can "help improve the image of the whole system."

He said he hopes to accomplish this goal by dispelling the system's negative stereotypes and emphasizing the diverse aspects of each house. The council should also focus more on taking initiative than on reacting to criticism, he said.

He declined to comment on the alcohol policy, which is under review by the College, saying any statement would be "a bit premature. That'll take a lot of work."

In a separate election yesterday, Tom Scott '96, also of Theta Delt, was elected President of the Interfraternity Council.

Scott said he thinks the IFC, which oversees the College's fraternities, should take a more active role than it has in the past.

Andrew Natenshon '96, a brother in Zeta Psi fraternity, was the only person nominated for the position of CFSC vice president.

As vice president, Natenshon will serve as head of the Judicial Council, which adjudicates alleged Greek house violations, and act as a liaison with the administration.

Bill Tovell '96, a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, will be the CFSC's treasurer and Amy Peller '96, a sister in Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority, will be the CFSC's programming chair.

Craig Pawling '96 of Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity was elected vice president of the IFC, Todd Nicotra '97 of SAE fraternity was elected social chair.