Top teams fall at X-C NCAA championships

Monday was a day full of surprises for many at the NCAA Division I cross country championship at the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville.

The Dartmouth men's team had hoped at the IC4A championship to avenge a loss suffered a week earlier to number one ranked Georgetown. When the day was done, Georgetown came out on top of Dartmouth by 20 points, but was upset by Iowa State and 11 other teams.

Going into the championship, the men held the number eight ranking. The seven harriers returned to Hanover having finished in the number 15 slot.

Co-captain Sam Wilbur '95 lead Dartmouth, finishing 39th overall, covering the 10,000 meter course in 31:17. Wilbur won the Heptagonal title earlier this season and was leading the IC4A race before being misdirected by the crowd..

Jack Dwyer '96 finished second in 31:44, crossing the line in 59th place. He was followed by Ted FitzPatrick '95 who has been running in the top two with Wilbur all season. His time of 32:13 secured his 95th place finish. Finishing up the scoring five were Aaron Bouplon '95 and Aaron Schumacher '98 in 102nd and 134 places respectively.

The women's race was won by favorite Villanova, which garnered the team its sixth consecutive title. The Dartmouth women, who qualified for the meet with one of six at-large bids, finished 19th overall.

Captain Kristin Cobb '95 lead the women, finishing 95th overall in a time 18:25 for the 5,000 meter course. She was closely followed by co-captain Kristin Manwaring '96, who finished in 113th place in 18:36. Jenna Rogers '98 was third for the team, taking 127th place overall.

The scoring squad was rounded out by Dierdre Milligan '98 in 132nd and Kristin Pierce '96 in 149th.