SASH to take on reduced role

In its annual report for 1993-94, the Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment Committee recommended its continued existence despite the diminished role it now plays on campus.

The report, presented to College Provost Lee Bollinger, referred to "the successful adoption of many of SASH's recommendations" and the increased involvement of other College offices and committees as reasons for a decline in activities.

"SASH is now in a mode of overseeing programs it has worked for in the past," Deputy Provost Bruce Pipes said.

SASH Co-chair Patricia Palmiotto, director of student affairs at the Amos Tuck School of Business Administration, said the report was part of a reexamination of the committee's goals to eliminate sexual abuse and harassment on campus through education and support services.

"It was a transition year for SASH, to continue to keep it going, not let it die, to reexamine what we are doing," Palmiotto said.

Among the recommendations was a continued endorsement of education "to reach the goal of eliminating sexual abuse and harassment at Dartmouth."

Established in 1987 and composed of more than two dozen students, professors and administrators, SASH functions as a watchdog group for women's safety on campus and recommends changes to College policies.

Over the last year, discussions have occurred between administrators, professors and students about the "possibility of designating a residential building or space that would have specific programming goals centered about women's issues," the report stated. It added that the talks will continue in the upcoming year.

SASH's report applauded the improved accessibility of women's self-defense courses and the continuation of sexual abuse training for members of the Committee on Standards, which SASH previously recommended.

The report also praised the development of a new model of handling sexual harassment for the Tuck School. The procedure, which is outlined in the report, traces the steps from complaint of sexual harassment to a resolution, passing through discussions with advisers, the Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Office, a complaint handler and a formal hearing.

"The Tuck School program is a pilot program. [The faculty] will iron out the wrinkles then implement it college-wide," Pipes said.

The report featured descriptions of the committee's meetings, various proposals and personal recognitions.

Palmiotto said someone sexually assaulted or abused should quickly contact Safety & Security, a dean, the Women's Resource Center, the Equal Employment Commission, a therapist at Dick's House, the Office of Civil Rights or a trusted friend.

"For women who have been assaulted, we can help them out with what to do, counseling and medical assistance," she said.

According to the report, students can contact the Sexual Awareness and Abuse Program by calling Assistant Coordinator Liza Veto, Women's Resource Center Director Giavanna Munafo or the Sexual Abuse Peer Advisers, a group of Dartmouth students who have been trained to respond questions regarding legal, medical and emotional issues surrounding sexual abuse.

The report listed several of SASH's past recommendations to Dean of the College Lee Pelton that have since been fulfilled: after SASH requested more counselors, Dick's House hired three full-time women counselors for sexual assault victims; locks were installed on the bathroom doors of women who ask; and funds for the Women's Resources Center were increased.