Harlequins revive musical theater with 'Godspell'

When a group of student actors known as The Harlequins stage the musical "Godspell" in 105 Dartmouth Hall beginning Thursday night and running through the weekend, it will be a significant moment in the history of theater at the College. It will also be a culmination for Harlequins founder and "Godspell" producer Timothy O'Leary '97, of a project begun in the middle of Winter term 1993.

O'Leary came to the College hoping to participate in musical theater. But upon his arrival, he discovered that there was no regular schedule of musical productions. The last mainstage musical, "West Side Story," was performed in Spring1991. Musicals are traditionally difficult to mount because of their large scale, huge casts and demand for complicated, lengthy rehearsals. Nevertheless, some student productions have been staged, most recently the student-directed "Merrily We Roll Along" and an evening of Kurt Weill pieces in Winter 1993.

The Drama department has not officially ruled out musical mainstage productions; as Assistant Professor of Drama Sam Abel said, "There is certainly no question that musicals always draw a huge audience, and that there is great student interest in performing in them. We have not discussed our production schedule for next year, so anything is possible." But when the department selects its productions, the obstacles of mounting a musical seems to make the proposition less desirable than straight drama.

O'Leary was inspired to look beyond the department. After attending a Dartmouth Players meeting he asked several members if they were interested in forming an organization devoted to musical theater. Soon afterward more than 20 people combined the form The Harlequins, and chose for their logo the commedia dell'arte figure of the jester, which O'Leary thought appropriate because of its familiar theatrical image and because "people thought we were fools," for tackling such a daunting project.

The Harlequins' choice of "Godspell" had both artistic and practical considerations. "Godspell" is a medium-length show (about an hour and a half), with very few practical and scenic difficulties. The music is engaging while not insurmountable and the plot can be interpreted and enjoyed on many levels. Nearly the entire ensemble is on stage throughout and each actor has a solo.

"Godspell" is a collection of parables and fables from the book of Matthew, which culminate in Judas's betrayal of Christ and the crucifixion. O'Leary said, "The power of the show lies in the fact that during it, every character on stage endears himself to the audience, and none more than Jesus. Then, quite suddenly, it all falls apart and they kill him without explanation."

Peter Tucker '97 will portray Jesus. Asked about the complexity of the role he joked, "Did it give me a God complex? No. But it's a humungous role. Memorization was tough. The show depends on Jesus' character to string together the parables and stories. It's a great challenge."

As a group The Harlequins faced their share of challenges. O'Leary mused about the experience, "When I began this, I constantly expected to run into some major impediment that would make it impossible, and explain why it hadn't been done before. I haven't found that. But there has been an unrelenting series of minor but persistent obstacles to overcome. Those can make it hard, but not nearly impossible."

Aside from the trials of securing rehearsal and performance space, another difficulty was finding a director capable of giving life to the show and willing to test the cast's skills. After a search, O'Leary found an able one in Andrew Slesinger '95, who demonstrated his ability in "The man who turned into a stick" and "Sure thing" last year. Slesinger considers this job a "good challenge" and has held rigorous auditions which have encompassed singing and improvisational acting.

For O'Leary, one of the most rewarding aspects of his work has been the outpouring of support he has received. The project is being funded in full by the Programming Board.

"Both the Board and Linda Kennedy have been extraordinarily helpful. We're exploring a few methods of funding future endeavors. Our feeling is that if we show that we can bring something valuable to the campus, we'll be able to find the money to do so," O'Leary said. The drama department made its lights and its scenery shop available for the production as well.

"So many people are excited about having musical theater at the College. We've actually had many more offers of help than we have work to be done right now," he added.

With this promising start the Harlequins hope to attain the benefits of "recognition," a term whose meaning is contested but which appears to bestow priority in rehearsal and performance space. Whatever its status, the group hopes for a long performance history. O'Leary said, "What's most important is that the group has continuity so that all that we've learned this year won't have to be relearned by someone a few years later. We're sure to hold meetings for anyone interested in helping to establish ourselves as an ongoing organization."

In the meantime, "Godspell" culminates more than a term's worth of hard work and the formidable talents of the students involved, from actors and singers to technical crews and other behind-the-scenes workers.

Tucker, who anticipates a career in musical theater, was enthusiastic about the Harlequins and hopeful for the success of "Godspell": "It's coming together really well, and we're going to knock everyone off their feet."

"Godspell" will be staged in 105 Dartmouth this Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday Nov. 20 at 4 p.m. Tickets cost $2 for students and are on sale at the Collis Information Desk.