Lack of funds stalls Webster's conversion

The $10 million project to convert Webster Hall into a Special Collections section of Baker Library remains on hold because of inadequate funding, leaving the facility available to programming events for the next two terms.

The overall project, which includes the construction of an underground connection between Webster and Baker, contains three phases, two of which have already been completed, Director of Facilities Planning Gordon DeWitt said.

The final portion, the "working drawing" phase, entails formulating the final blueprints and submitting them to the contractors for construction. But this cannot be done until more funds are raised, DeWitt said.

"We've been waiting for success in fundraising, which at this point has not happened," he said.

When The Dartmouth first reported on the project last January DeWitt said construction could begin as early as last summer and would take between 14 and 18 months to complete.

But DeWitt said the exact starting date was never specified and has still not been determined.

"No one has ever made any promises to me as to when we could start," DeWitt said. "I expected not to get authorization until we got the funding."

"We're certainly not ready to construct the building and we won't be until we have the funding for it," College Librarian Margaret Otto said.

Director of Major Gifts Paul Sheff, who is overseeing the Development Office's effort to raise money for the Webster project, said, "We are just starting to build toward the [$10 million goal.]"

Sheff said two major groups are currently part of the fundraising effort -- the Class of 1965 and the Webster Hall Task Force. The task force is developing a strategy to attract alumni and outsider donors to the project.

When the Webster construction begins, the College will be left without a middle-sized programming facility.

But the Programming Board has been given permission to schedule events at Webster through the Winter term, and DeWitt said he "wouldn't be surprised" if it receives permission to schedule through the Spring term as well.

DeWitt said it will take approximately 12 weeks to draft the final documents and begin construction once sufficient funds have been raised and he receives the go-ahead to start phase three.

According to DeWitt, the Webster project is a high priority because its completion is necessary to facilitate the larger Berry Library project, which involves renovating Baker and expanding it to the North. The Berry project is scheduled to begin in 1997.

While the College is excited about both projects, the beginning of construction on Webster means the loss of a popular facility for holding events.