Kontos looks ahead to Mandela's challenges

William Kontos, former ambassador to the Sudan who was also Executive Director of Report to Charter New Policy on South Africa, delivered a succinct speech last night on the economic and racial challenges facing South African President Nelson Mandela's post-apartheid government.

Kontos emphasized the seminal event of a "government that was still in control of the means of coercion but voluntarily and peacefully gave up its sole rule." He also gave a brief overview of the last 20 years in South African politics and the recent emergence of the coalition between Mandela and former South African President F. W. DeKlerk.

The pact came from the severe recession South Africa faced when the international community imposed economic sanctions in an attempt to weaken the apartheid government, Kontos said.

Kontos described two occasions when he met DeKlerk, who was then Minister of Higher Education. Kontos said he saw DeKlerk as a "great technocrat doing the best job he could." He said he had no idea at the time that DeKlerk would "emerge as the forceful leader when serving his country at a truly historic moment."

Kontos praised the organization of Mandela's recent election, which he said dealt with 90 percent first-time voters and a 50 percent level of illiteracy among voters. The governments of several other countries sent representatives to help coordinate this unprecedented democratic election.

The present condition of South Africa includes a staggering economy, an increasing crime rate and the difficult task of reorganizing the public sector in a multiracial fashion, Kontos said.

He said South Africa needs to emerge out of this slump not only for its own good but for all of Sub-Saharan Africa. He said Belgium, with a population of 10 million people, has the same gross national product as Sub-Saharan Africa, which has a population of 530 million.

South Africa's economic success depends on its ability to deal with high levels of unemployment and with the price of gold, which accounts for 30 percent of its exports. If the country can overcome these problems and emerge as an economic power then it will be on its way to aiding other sub-Saharan countries, Kontos said.

"Anything is possible in South Africa," Kontos said in the end of his speech to conclude a comprehensive account of an unstable country that has gone through "a remarkable and even heroic transition to a multiracial society."

Organized by the World Affairs Council and introduced by the Government Department Chair Nelson Kasfir, this event coincided with three crucial events in the development of South Africa: Moody's Investor's Service: one of two large firms that evaluate countries' capacities to develop economically awarded South Africa an investment-grade rating; Mandela thanked the United Nations General Assembly for its help in dismantling apartheid; and U.S. President Bill Clinton received Mandela in the White House as Chief of State.

About 30 people attended the speech, which was held in 28 Silsby at 8 p.m last night.