Galford discusses coming out

Novelist Ellen Galford spoke yesterday afternoon about her experiences as a woman, a lesbian, a Jew and an American expatriate living in Scotland.

The speech, which was attended by about one dozen women, celebrated National Coming Out Day.

Galford described her feelings of isolation growing up in Newark, N.J.

"I had always, always felt different," she said. "I think that anybody who has half a brain feels different in highschool USA."

Galford said the society she grew up in differed greatly in terms of how today's society viewed homosexuality.

She said the "key to coming out was getting out" and so she migrated to Scotland in 1971.

Galford said her writing slowly dried up until she came out of the closet.

"Then it just popped like a cork. It was very powerful and very frightening," she said. Galford said she wrote her first poem in seven years the day after she came out.

Galford also described the advent of homosexual communities in Scotland. She said homosexuals were originally a fragmented group in the country, with many gays living in small towns where it was difficult for them to be open about their sexuality.

Eventually, Galford said, awarenes grew and a "strong and vibrant" community grew.

But in the late 1980s Clause 28 was incorporated into Scottish law, making it illegal to promote homosexuality. The clause stifled sexual education that described homosexuality as a legitimate lifestyle.

Galford said that although the law was never enforced, it had the effect of bringing together and politicizing the gay and lesbian community.

Michelle Seldin '95, co-chair of the Dartmouth Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Organization, said it was wonderful to have such a role model visiting Dartmouth and addressing issues of concern.

"It's incredibly wonderful and informative to have an intelligent woman on this campus who is successful in what she does," Seldin said. "It is even nicer for our community to have such an intelligent and successful lesbian writer."

Galford's speech also coincides with Gay and Lesbian History Month.

"It is a celebration of the rich history and culture of the community -- we might finally get some small smidgeon of recognition for the vast things that people of our community have done for this country and for the world," Seldin said.

The month will be marked by a variety of speeches and events including many Dartmouth resources.

Peter Saccio will speak about "Gay Men, Stereotypes, and Some Recent Poems" tonight and English Professor Bill Cook will speak on Oct. 25 about "Gays and the Harlem Renaissance."