College upgrades for disabilities

In compliance with the American Disabilities Act, the College is continuing its program of upgrading facilities to make them more handicapped accessible, Student Disabilities Coordinator Nancy Pompian said.

Under the terms of the ADA, Pompian said, the College must have a program in place to "improve and upgrade facilities." Furthermore, all new construction and major renovations must make buildings handicapped accessible.

But the law does not state that all buildings must be instantly accessible, said Pompian, who is also co-chair of the College's section 504/ADA committee.

Jack Wilson, assistant director of facilities planning and project architect for the College, said the highest priority projects are Rollins Chapel, the Ravine Lodge and Robinson Hall.

The Robinson Hall project is especially extensive, Director of Facilities Planning Gordon DeWitt said. Included in the plans are an addition to the west side of the building that will include a new stairway, an accessible entry and an elevator to provide access to all floors, Wilson said.

Because the renovations will be "top to bottom," DeWitt said it will probably be necessary to relocate the offices of The Dartmouth, the College radio stations - WDCR and WFRD -- and the other occupants of Robinson, possibly to the Norris Cotton Medical Center.

Work on Robinson Hall could start as early as this summer, DeWitt said.

In 1989, the Board of Trustees allocated $1 million to fund the renovations of several buildings to make them handicapped accessible, Wilson said.

The College has already added elevators in McNutt Hall and Spaulding Auditorium and construction of ramps in Parkhurst Hall, Dartmouth Hall and the Hopkins Center for the Performing Arts. An elevator and access ramp were also added to the Collis Student Center.

In addition to upgrading facilities, the College also works to accommodate handicapped students with special needs, Pompian said. For example, the College purchased Powerbook computers for deaf students and hired typists to sit next to them in class.

Alie Mann '95, who is in a wheelchair, said she thinks Dartmouth is more handicapped accessible than other Ivy League colleges.

"The classrooms for the most part are very accessible -- and if a class isn't accessible, the Registrar will change it to another classroom," she said.

Wendy Osterling '95, who is a deaf student, agreed. "Dartmouth has been very accommodating ... helpful and so supportive," she said.

Osterling said she currently has a typist sit next to her in every class.