College says planning for freshmen unnecessary

Every Homecoming weekend Hanover is flooded with alumni from more than 40 classes. Tonight will begin the initiation of the newest class into the Dartmouth Night traditions, but little is planned for the class of 1998.

Administrators said they do not think specific freshmen activities are necessary because Homecoming weekend provides enough diversions.

The first Homecoming ritual for the '98s started yesterday as they began construction on the bonfire.

After tonight's bonfire, many upperclassmen will head for Webster Avenue, but as usual, freshmen will not be allowed to attend fraternity parties.

Associate Dean of Freshmen Tony Tillman said the fraternity scene is "obviously attractive to first-year students."

He said, "I don't recall hearing any complaints" about the exclusion of freshmen from the CFSk system on Homecoming weekend.

Similarly, Linda Kennedy, Coordinator of Student Programming, said Homecoming is a "very busy time" and said that last year there were no complaints about a lack of programming for freshmen.

Cliff Weiss '95, a co-chair of the Programming Board, said that Friday will be a "huge night where there is clearly no lack of anything to do."

For this reason, he said there will be no organized programming for tonight.

Saturday's main event, the football game, will give the freshmen an opportunity to spend some time together as a class.

Pamela Saunders '9, former '97 class president said that Homecoming Saturday is a "bonding experience" and that the sporting events provide freshmen with plenty to do. More of the class is there and "it's good to have all the alumni there," she said.

According to Weiss, freshmen have reason to be excited.

"It is one of the most fun times you'll ever have at Dartmouth," he said.