College honors published professors

Students and faculty will have a chance to mingle over tea in Baker Library's Tower Room this afternoon during an event to honor professors whose work has been published within the last year.

The event, called "Fall Author's and Editor's Celebration," is the first of its kind and is sponsored by the Programming Board. It will take place from 4 to 5:30 p.m.

The tea is designed "to provide an opportunity for student and faculty to interact outside the classroom," Coordinator of Student Programs Linda Kennedy said.

More than 30 faculty members from many disciplines will be on hand with College President James Freedman and his wife, Bathsheba, who teaches psychology at the College, to discuss their work and to talk with students, Research Librarian Lois Krieger said. Krieger was responsible for locating the professors who have had work published within the last year.

"The celebration is to let people know how much work is done by the faculty," Freedman said. "Its a nice opportunity to say 'congratulations.'"

The recently published works range from "novels, to philosophy, to biology, to books in foreign languages, to videos," Kennedy said, noting that some of the publishing involves multi-media technology.

Biology Professor John Rothblatt, whose encyclopedia-type book on cell biology will be on display, said the event is a good way to raise the visibility of the faculty's scholarly activities.

"It provides mutual recognition, so we can become aware of research people are doing in other departments," he said.

Kennedy described the event as a "traditional English tea," complete with little sandwiches, sweets and tea in teacups.