Campaign heads seek $500M goal

The committee in charge of the College's Will to Excel Capital Campaign recommended that the campaign's goal be raised from $425 million to $500 million.

College spokesman Alex Huppe said the Campaign Executive Committee sent its recommendation to the Board of Trustees Friday and added that he expects the Board to make a final decision this week.

As of Sept. 26, the campaign had raised more than $367 million, representing 86.4 percent of its $425 million goal with 70.6 percent of the campaign time elapsed.

The five-year captial campaign, which is scheduled to end in June, 1996, represents the largest fundraising effort in the College's history.

The Campaign Executive Committee is comprised of College President James Freedman, Chairman of the Board of Trustees E. John Rosenwald, Trustee Richard Page, who is the chair of the Campaign, and Vice President of Development and Alumni Affairs Stanley Colla.

Rosenwald and Page, reached at their homes last night, declined to comment. Freedman and Colla could not be reached.

The Campaign raises money from individuals, corporations and foundations to support three economic divisions -- endowments, current use and facilities.

The campaign has been highlighted by a $25 million gift from John Berry '44 that will be used to expand Baker Library.

But despite the campaign's overall success, the endowment portion -- which is used to fund professors' salaries and the curriculum expansion associated with the new degree requirements -- has lagged behind the other divisions of the Campaign.

In the spring of 1993, Dean of Faculty James Wright delayed for one year the implementation of the new curriculum because the endowment portion of the campaign had not received enough funding.

In Dartmouth's last major fundraising effort, which concluded 12 years ago, the College surpassed its $160 million goal by $44 million.

Although the Board will not formally meet until the weekend of Nov. 11, Huppe said he expects the Trustees to make a decision within the next week.

--Staff Writer Rebecca Siegel contributed to this report.