Assembly grants membership, but only this time

From now on, student's attendance at Summer term Student Assembly meetings will not count toward Assembly membership, the Assembly's Committee on Procedure reported at last night's general meeting.

But for the four students who went to three consecutive meetings this Summer, their attendance will count toward membership, said Assembly Treasurer John Honovich '97, who chaired the committee.

Two weeks ago, the Assembly passed a motion by Kishan Putta '96 to form a the committee to look at the appointments of Lischa Barrett '95, Shakari Cameron '96, Sue Kim '96 and Nada Payne '96.

Assembly President Danielle Moore '95 said she is glad the issue is settled. "I think it will help to clear up some of the controversy surrounding new SA members," she said. "I'm glad the issue was taken care of so we can move on to more practical matters."

Honovich said the decision will be added to the Assembly's by-laws.

Domestic Violence Week

The Assembly unanimously passed an Executive Committee Motion to "fully support the existence and continuation of Domestic Violence Awareness Week."

"I think it's important to recognize the existence of a formal agenda to acknowledge Domestic Violence Awareness Month," Moore said.

Moore told the Assembly she was asked to participate in a vigil in recognition of domestic violence week and wants to take with her "the support of the SA in writing."

"It's a great show of support for the continuation of these kinds of events," she said. "By passing it unanimously, the SA showed the support of the student body for these issues."

The Assembly invited Giavanna Munafo, director of the Women's Resource Center, to speak about the planned activities for Domestic Violence Awareness week.

The Social Issues, Intellectual Life, Administrative Affairs and Communications committees gave summaries of their agendas for the term.

Social Issues

Social Issues Committee Chair Grace Chionuma '96 said the committee will examine alcohol on campus, diversity, gender issues, a potential new mascot, and the Coed, Fraternity and Sorority system and the recruitment and retaining of minority faculty.

Honovich said the Assembly wants to look into how it can help the CFS system and to look into past complaints about the system.

Miranda Johnson '97, a committee member, said the committee will also work toward improving the structure of support for women on campus.

"We're looking to see all these organizations housed under one roof," she said.

Chionuma announced a November date for the Student Convention of Organizations, where representatives from all residential student organizations -- including Greek houses -- will discuss their common goals.

"It's an attempt to be as broad based and cross-cultural as possible," Moore said.

Intellectual Life

Tim Young '96 chair of the Intellectual Life Committee explained his committee's goals, including a year-long project to prepare an argument for student representation on the tenure committee.

The committee is also working on evaluations of the new curriculum and Assembly's course guide.

He said members are also working to promote the development of Latino studies and Korean language programs.

Administrative Affairs

Anna Ochoa '97, chair of the Administrative Affairs Committee, said the committee would try to increase the hours available for students to work out in the gym and improve aerobics classes.

The committee will also address putting a computer with BlitzMail in the Rockefeller Center, reducing the lines at Food Court, and trying to start Internet instructional classes at Kiewit, she said.

Communications Committee

Brandon del Pozo '96, chair of the Communications Committee stressed his need for assistance with writing the Assembly's newsletter, The Advocate.

The Assembly also discussed creating liaisons between it and different administrative offices and committees like Health Services, the Office of Residential Life and the Financial Aid Office.