'97 council selects its officers

The Freshman Council last night elected Randi Barnes President of the Class of 1998 and Thomas Franks Vice President.

Barnes defeated five other freshmen: Joan Ai, Peter Bastian, Amit Malhotra, Douglas Young and Clair Jones. Approximately one quarter of the 45 Council members ran for an office.

Christine DuRocher was elected secretary. Barnes, Franks and DuRocher will vote tomorrow to break a tie between Malia Bodhaine and Isabel Choi for treasurer.

Barnes expressed both surprise and excitement immediately following the election. "I didn't get a part in the play I tried out for last night. I guess this makes up for that," she said.

Every Council member running for office was allowed to give a four-minute campaign speech. Barnes stressed enthusiasm and dedication as two prominent characteristics of her personality.

"The reason why I am running for the office of Freshman President is simple: I want to help make our freshman year one of the best times in our lives," Barnes said.

In an interview after the election, Franks said he wants to push for all-freshman dormitories and said he hopes the Council will promote community service.

Last night's elections marked the third Freshman Council meeting this term. Adrienne Kim '95, an intern in the Freshman Office, has been acting as adviser to the Council thus far. She said she expects to become less involved as the newly elected officers become more familiar with their positions.

"We should continue to receive a lot of support from the upperclass officers and the Student Assembly," Barnes said. "I don't think we'll need to rely solely upon the administration for guidance."

Dean of Freshmen Peter Goldsmith attended last night's meeting and stressed the administration's hope that Homecoming weekend and the freshmen sweep will be "as organized and safe as possible."

The Council has formed a committee to plan the Homecoming events in an effort to avoid a repeat of last year, when a group of freshmen became rowdy and caused property damage.

The Council has also formed committees to examine the freshman meal plan and to plan class activities, which might include a Halloween masquerade ball.

"I want us to have an amazing Dartmouth experience full of old traditions like Homecoming and Green Key Weekend and new activities which we will ourselves initiate," Barnes said in her speech.

The Council is comprised of students who were elected by members of their residence halls Oct. 2. The number of representatives from each dorm was dependent upon how many freshmen live in the dorm.