Some flock to rush while others oppose

Last evening marked the beginning of Fall term fraternity rush for interested Dartmouth men to choose their Greek affiliation.

Traditionally, about 50 percent of the current sophomore class -- as well as some upperclassmen -- participate in rush. Members of the Greek system said they expect this year's rush class to involve a similar number of rushees.

To offer more information to potential rushees, Gamma Delta Chi fraternity hosted an informal meeting Monday night to discuss the rush process and the Greek system in general.

About 20 students attended the discussion, which was led by Gamma Delt President Todd Brackett '95, Interfraternity Council President Scott Swenson '95, IFC Rush Chair Kenji Sugahara '95 and Jeremy Katz '95, president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon. Katz said representatives from all fraternities were invited to participate.

Members of the Greek system outlined this week's rush events and answered general questions while Assistant Dean of Residential Life Deb Reinders spoke about rush policies, hazing and her personal dealings with the Greek system.

Swenson said rush "is a time to learn about as many houses as you can."

Formal rush began last night, when any sophomores and other upperclassmen interested in joining a fraternity visited houses and socialized with the brothers.

Today, houses will begin giving out membership bids that ask students to join. They will also issue call-backs, which invite others -- whom the brothers have not yet decided on -- to return for a second night of rush.

Rush concludes on Saturday when new members offically join the houses by sinking their bids.

Brothers of the various houses at Monday night's discussion told prospective members that joining a house is an important decision.

"It's a big commitment to join a fraternity, and you shouldn't take it lightly," one Gamma Delt brother said.

The Greek affiliates said individuals are best off if they keep their options open and visit as many houses as they can.

Katz offered a specific tip for men who believe they know which house they are interested in joining.

"The place you really want to be a part of is the last place you should visit because you will stand out in the brothers' minds," he said.

Swenson also said that individuals interested in a house should be aggressive and take charge of their rush experiences if they do not initially receive bids.

"Don't be afraid to call up a house officer and tell them you really want to be a member and most houses will be really accommodating," he said.

Reinders discussed the College's rush policies, which include a statement forbidding students currently on College probation to rush.

She also spoke about the New Hampshire hazing law, which declares hazing activity illegal. Students who pledge a house are required to sign a contract that guarantees that neither they nor anyone else they know have participated in any hazing activity, Reinders said.

Reinders also said this year's rush offers many opportunities for prospective members and said the fraternity system is constantly changing.

"We have to keep moving forward, because fraternity life is evolving at Dartmouth, and you are a part of that change," she said.

Yesterday, Sean Donahue '96 and other members of Panarchy, an undergraduate society, began distributing pamphlets asking men and women interested in rush to reconsider their decision. Donahue said 400 people took pamphlets from his station outside the Hopkins Center for the Performing Arts.

"Many members of my organization as well as myself are personally opposed to rush, but we think it's more effective to ask people to think through the particular moral issues related to the question rather than imposing a moral view upon them," Donahue said.

Donahue was among a group of students who, calling themselves the Dartmouth Alliance for Social Change, called for the abolition of the Greek system last year.

"All of the people involved in putting together the flyer think there are some serious problems with the Greek system," Donahue said.

The individuals responsible for circulating this year's letter hope at least a few individuals will change their mind about rushing, Donahue said.