Quiet summer despite fires, vandals, thiefs

Aside from several arrests, vandalism sprees, fires and changes in the administration, Summer term at the College was fairly quiet.

The summer began with a protest by the union that represents most College workers. The union wants greater job security and more benefits.

The union has been working without a contract since the end of June and negotiators for the union and the College seem as far apart as the Major League Baseball players.

A hotly debated issue was the Fall term housing crunch. In early August the College announced it would deny students who applied on-time for campus housing, and then frantically tried to whittle away at a more than 160 student waitlist.

This term, the College will form a committee of administrators, faculty and students to examine a possible solution to the perpetual overloading of students on campus for the Fall term. A possible solution will be to cap fall enrollment.

The summer ended with spark -- from a hot-pot in a third floor room in Lord Hall -- that caused a fire incurring $8,000 worth of damage to the room.

Many students in the Greek system were upset this summer because they felt the Hanover Police department and its new chief, Nick Giaccone, were targeting the houses during the term.

Hanover Police arrested several non-Dartmouth students for possession of alcohol in late July and then investigated Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and Sigma Delta sorority. Hanover Police did not bring any charges against the two houses.

Also, Hanover Police investigated a possible connection between Theta Delta Chi fraternity and an early-morning break-in to Thayer Dining Hall in August.

Summer Coed Fraternity Sorority Council President Matt McGill '96 said the investigation of Theta Delta was "outright discrimination against fraternities."

Vandals also overturned 13 tombstones in the Old Dartmouth Cemetery, causing about $10,000 worth of damages in the end of June.

The Coed Fraternity Sorority Council tried to improve its public image over the summer by sponsoring numerous charity events and hosting a barbecue for faculty members on the lawn of Alpha Delta fraternity.

Tubestock was also fairly quiet, except for when Kishan Putta '96 was struck by an outboard motor boat propeller that injured both his feet.

A study gauging attitudes toward homosexuals released in July found that women at Dartmouth are about twice as likely to accept homosexual behavior than men.

There were several administrative changes over the summer. Provost Lee Bollinger officially started his job in July, making him the second-ranking administrator.

Giavanna Munafo, a doctoral candidate from the University of Virginia, was named the head of the Women's Resource Center; John Sirios '91 was named acting director of the Native American Program; and Janet Terp was appointed assistant dean of the College for administration.

Five candidates to replace George Demko as head of the Rockefeller Center for the Social Sciences visited campus this summer. Assistant Dean of the Faculty George Wolford, who heads the search committee, said there should be a choice early in the Fall term.

Joel Leavitt '50, a former president of a consumer products company, recently took over as president of the College's Alumni Council. Leavitt will be president until July 1, 1995, when Otho Kerr '79 will take over.

This fall the College will install a new telephone system that will provide clearer service, eliminate cross-talk and perhaps offer voice-mail options.

On the sports front, Adam Nelson '97 won the shotput event at the World Junior Track and Field Championships in Lisbon, Portugal with a mighty toss of 60 feet, 2 inches.

Former quarterback Jay Fiedler '94 landed a spot on the Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League.