7 arrested for rushing field

Seven members of the Class of 1998 were arrested after rushing Memorial Field at Saturday's game against the University of Pennsylvania, according to College officials.

The students, whose names have not yet been released by the Hanover Police Department, were charged with criminal trespassing, a violation that carries a maximum fine of $1,000, College Spokesman Rick Adams said. In comparison to a misdemeanor, a violation is a lesser offense and a conviction will not lead to a criminal record.

All seven freshmen were released on personal recognizance to Safety and Security officials, Adams said.

The arresting officer, Sergeant Chris O'Connor, was unavailable for comment and the police would not release any more information last night.

In previous years the Freshmen Office has sent letters to incoming freshmen during the summer warning them about the consequences and dangers associated with rushing the field.

But no letters were mailed to the Class of 1998.

"The thinking behind not sending the letter was that the problem had subsided," Dean of Freshman Peter Goldsmith said. "The letter had the effect of inciting students to do something they normally would not think of doing," Goldsmith said.

During half-time, upperclass students chanted at freshmen, urging them to "rush the field."

Goldsmith said the upperclassmen acted irresponsibly by inciting the first-year students. first-year students.

"It seemed to me there was a deliberate and organized provocation to get first-year students on the field," he said.

Goldsmith said Dartmouth has prided itself on not having humiliating traditions that freshmen must endure.

"Goading students into doing something like this has the potential of replicating freshmen hazing," Goldsmith said.

Typically, students who are arrested for rushing the field also face disciplinary action by the College.

"The conventional sanction is three terms of College discipline which does not go on a student's transcript but does appear on a student's permanent record," Goldsmith said.

But Goldsmith said students may run into trouble when applying to law schools if they have a disciplinary record.

"Students should think twice about the long-range repercussions of rushing the field," he said.

This is not the first time first-year students have been arrested for rushing the field at a football game.

Last year, one student was arrested and charged with criminal trespassing after rushing the field at half-time during the homecoming game against Harvard.

In 1992, three members of the Class of 1996 were arrested for running onto the field during the homecoming game against Yale. Several Yale band members were injured during the incident and an instrument was damaged.

In 1991, two members of the Class of 1995 were arrested and charged with criminal trespassing and resisting arrest for a similar incident at the home opener against Bucknell.

Goldsmith said he does not plan to send letters to the Class of 1999 warning them of the consequences of rushing the field unless "things escalate."