Telephone numbers now public

The Dean of the College Office recently began giving out students' phone numbers to be people who request it from the office.

Though the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 allowed universities to release student telephone numbers, the College previously did not disclose them because it thought doing so would invade students' privacy, Assistant Dean of the College Teoby Gomez said.

The office is currently allowed to release information on a student's major, awards received, address, extracurricular activities and degrees.

Gomez said students can request that the office not give their personal information out. "All they have to do is inform us in writing," he said.

The changes were made, Gomez said, because the athletic department was having trouble getting in touch with students to sell tickets.

Gomez said before the changes were made, no College office or individual could gain access to the telephone numbers. Only the Dean of the College Office was privy to the phone numbers and allowed to use them.

The College will mail letters to incoming freshmen and transfer students informing students of the changes and of their right not to have their personal information released, Gomez said.

Dean of the College Lee Pelton wrote in a letter dated July 18 that the changes came after a committee of administrators recommended them.

He wrote the changes were made "in the interest of compliance with Department of Education Regulations under the 1974 Family Education Rights and Privacy Act and institutions needs."