Devens: Dartmouth's own devil

The nickname suits Sarah Devens '96 perfectly.

"We nicknamed her 'devil' and that pretty well sums it up," women's ice hockey Coach George Crowe said. "She has so much energy. She is always on the go."

He said no matter how long team practices are, Devens will still be on the ice practicing after everyone else leaves.

"You literally can't tire her out," Crowe said of Devens, who is a starter on three varsity teams at the College: field hockey, ice hockey and lacrosse. "She's just a lot of fun to have on the team."

Devens said her life is "definitely stressful" and that she sometimes feels she is missing out on some things because of her involvement in three Division I sports.

For example, because she has to be on campus for Fall, Winter, and Spring terms, she is taking this summer off.

In her off term she has visited the Grand Canyon and helped out with ice hockey and lacrosse camps in Hanover.

She is currently in Delaware helping field hockey Coach Julie Dayton with a camp.

Devens said she enjoys helping out at the camps because she can "get a taste of coaching," something she is interested in doing.

Although participating on three teams is tough, she said, "you just have to be disciplined."

Devens said the toughest time is the transition between sports, especially from ice hockey in the winter to lacrosse in the spring.

And she said it is often difficult to separate academics and athletics. "You get stressed and you have to not let that bother you."

"It's very intense. It's very structured. There's not much time to just hang out," she said. But, "I don't know if I would be happy [if I quit a team.]"

"I still like" playing for three teams, she said, especially the connections and team spirit that develops between the teammates.

"I feel a part of every team. It would be sort of hard to quit now. Part of me wishes I could take a break, but I want to be there, to keep playing," she added.

Devens said she became involved in three sports at the College because she liked all three sports in high school and she wanted to take advantage of the opportunities available to her here.

Crowe said "it's certainly rare" for someone to be a varsity starter on three Division I college teams. "I don't know how many have done that," he said.

And, he added, "not only is she doing that, she's pretty good at all them."

Freshman year, Devens was named to the All-Ivy Team and was also Ivy League and East Coast Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year in ice hockey.

She scored 20 goals and had 27 assists for the 19-7-1 Big Green, who won the Ivy title. This year she was named an honorable mention on the All-Ivy team in hockey.

Devens said of the three sports she plays, she likes ice hockey the best. "I like to skate," she said. She added that she also likes ice hockey because "the more I practice the more there is to learn."

Devens was also named All-Ivy in field hockey and lacrosse in her freshman and sophomore years.

This year Devens led the field hockey team in scoring with nine goals and one assist.

She was second in scoring on the 11-4 lacrosse team, which was ranked sixth nationally, with 25 goals and 17 assists, a school record for assists.

"She works hard at it," Crowe said. "Sarah really is dedicated, that's for sure."

Women's lacrosse Coach Amy Patton said, "I think she's a phenomenal athlete." She is "a very, very unselfish player who also has the capability to take control of the game."

"She definitely adds a lot to the team dynamic," Patton added.

And, Patton said Devens is constantly improving.

"This past year I saw a big improvement in her confidence," Patton said. "Each year she gets better and better."

Patton said she does not think playing three sports harms Devens at all. Although she does miss much of the training season for lacrosse and ice hockey, Patton said Devens has the athletic ability to make up for it.

"I think she's going about it pretty well," Patton said. "I think that it's good for her right now" because she is able to play all the sports that she enjoys participating in.

Crowe said, "There's a great carry-over from one sport to another. I don't think she loses anything. Especially the three sports she's playing. They are very similar in a lot of ways."

Both Patton and Crowe are very optimistic about Devens' future.

Patton said "she definitely has leadership type abilities" and might even be captain of all three of her teams by senior year.

"She's certainly one of our top players," Crowe said. "We expect her to step up and take a greater role."

And Crowe said, "She keeps getting better every year. She could play at a national level [after she graduates.]"

The "Olympic [ice hockey] team is a possibility," Crowe said, noting that Devens has been on the United States development team since a very young age.

Devens said she is not too sure of her plans for the future. "Part of me is hoping for a chance of making the Olympic team in 1998."

But, for the time being, Devens is looking forward to the coming seasons.

"I think I'm ready to step up more as a leader," she said.