Terp named new assistant dean

Dean of the College Lee Pelton recently appointed Janet Terp as assistant dean of the College for administration.

Terp is the former acting director of public programs and campaign events at the College.

The appointment comes after the resignation in May of former Associate Dean Barbara Strohbehn, who worked in the office for 12 years.

Terp will assume some of Strohbehn's responsibilities and the rest will be divided among members of the Dean's Office, Pelton said.

Terp, who served as assistant director of public programs, declined an offer in December to become the full-time director of public programs, she said.

Pelton said Terp has a working knowledge of the College administration and how to interact with different offices and departments at Dartmouth, which were qualities he looked for in the job search.

"She brings two things to the job," Pelton said. "First of all, she's smart and secondly, she has a complete and full knowledge of the College."

Terp said she was excited to take what she called a "dream job" because it combines her interests in student affairs and development of alumni affairs.

"I am excited because it is a blending of both areas," she said. "It enables me to work with a diverse constituency."

She said she also was looking forward to working with students.

Pelton said Terp will "strengthen the ties between the Dean of the College Office and alumni and friends of the College who have an interest in the activities which fall under the office."

Terp will be the liaison with the alumni relations office and with the President's Office on Board of Trustee matters which involve the Dean's Office, Pelton wrote in a letter to the community on Friday.

As part of her job, Terp will sit on the College Commencement Committee and the Prize Committee, Pelton said.

Assistant Dean of the College Katherine Burke and Matt McMannes, the office's executive officer, will assume the rest of Strohbehn's former projects.

Pelton called the reorganization "modest" and Terp's appointment "significant."

Burke, who will now oversee some College publications such as the Student Handbook and Sources, the College research attribution guide, said Strohbehn has been teaching her how to edit and assemble the publications.

McMannes will coordinate facilities for the Dean's Office. As part of that responsibility, McMannes will sit on the Facilities Working Group and the Facilities Advisory Committee.

Strohbehn resigned so she could relocate with her husband, John, who was recently named provost at Duke Univerisity in North Carolina.

John Strohbehn was previously the provost at Dartmouth.