Palumbo '96 arrested

Dan Palumbo '96 was arrested early Monday morning for underage drinking, after Hanover Police found him asleep on the floor of a friend's room in Topliff Hall.

Palumbo, 20, said he and a friend split a six-pack of beer late Sunday night. At about 3 a.m., while returning from his friend's house on School Street, he visited another friend on the first floor of Topliff residence hall with his dog Rosie, who he left in the hall.

Palumbo fell asleep on the floor of the room, and when his friend went to the bathroom, the dog began barking loudly and wouldn't allow her to enter the room.

So she called Safety and Security, who called Hanover Police, who managed to calm the dog and enter the room. "[The police] prodded me awake with a shovel for some reason," Palumbo said.

Palumbo said because his voice was slurred and he smelled of alcohol, the police took him to the station, after stopping by Alpha Delta fraternity, where Palumbo lives, to drop Rosie off. "I'd just been asleep for two hours so I was probably just drowsy," he said. "I have no idea what they're complaining about."

Hanover Police confirmed that Palumbo was arrested. Palumbo said his Blood Alcohol Level was .04. "If you take a quarter bottle of Nyquil and rinse your mouth out with soap you have a .04," Palumbo said.

Palumbo was released to Safety and Security, who brought him back to AD.

"I never got busted before for being asleep in a dorm room, it's kind of ridiculous," Palumbo said. He said the police will drop the charges after he completes a $150 alcohol training program.

Hanover Police Chief Nick Giaccone confirmed the arrest.