Kiewit revokes man's network access

The College recently suspended Ludwig Plutonium from the computer network for calling The New York Times, "The Jew York Times" in a message posted on an electronic bulletin board.

Plutonium, a dishwasher at the Hanover Inn, is known around campus for his theory that the universe is made of plutonium atoms.

The Kiewit Computational Center removed Plutonium's name from the Dartmouth Name Directory for 30 days.

Plutonium, whose suspension is almost finished, was unable to use the College's electronic mail network or the Dartmouth College Information System Navigator and other programs that use the DND Directory.

Plutonium said people complained after he posted a skit called "Neanderthal Park 2" on June 21 on the InterNet -- a computer bulletin board where millions of computers all over the world can browse various topics.

Plutonium wrote, "Shown in this skit Mike Wallace as he uncovers the dirt of the black holes (BS for short) of 'The Jew York Times' for Tuesday, June 21, 1994."

Plutonium wrote that the skit, which uses the CBS show "60 Minutes" as the background for an interview with the publisher of the New York City daily paper, Arthur Sulzberger, Jr., is supposed to make fun of scientists and the "mathematic community."

He said in an interview last night at Kiewit that he did not consider the reference to "The Jew York Times" anti-Semitic.

Malcolm Brown, director of academic computing, said he would not comment on Plutonium's case. He said Plutonium was suspended because he violated the Dartmouth Computing Code.

Plutonium said many messages complaining about his reference were sent to Peter Schmidt, a Kiewit employee who is the systems operator for the College computer network. Schmidt would not comment on how many messages were sent.

Brown said that while the Dartmouth Computing Code is geared towards preventing people from erasing files and breaking into other people's BlitzMail accounts that "inappropriate behavior" is also covered.

He said suspensions of people's DND listings are "very rare, thank God."

Brown said that though Kiewit never checks the content of BlitzMail messages, if someone posts a message on one of the InterNet bulletin boards, "they give up the right to that privacy."

Brown said, "We tend to want to do the absolute minimum in response to a particular circumstance."

When asked why he posed the message, Plutonium said, "I was upset over The New York Times doing the black hole on their cover."

The Times recently printed a picture of a black hole on the cover and credited Einstein with its discovery. Plutonium said he was angered by the article.

Plutonium accused The Times of "wrongly crediting" Albert Einstein with the discovery of the theory of relativity.

He said he can prove that Einstein "stole the special relative theorem from the Frenchman Poincar e ."

The "Jewish community and press ... has amplified his importance way out of proportion," Plutonium said. "Einstein has this terrific Jewish press in back of him. It's just not fair to the other scientists."

When asked if he would post the same message again or refer to The Times as "The Jew York Times" he said, "Oh yeah."