Dartspeak: The lingo of Dartmouth College

Editor's note: While reading this vocabulary section, take everything with a grain of salt. Although people do use these words, this section is somewhat tounge-in-cheek, so take it as that.

Beast -- The beer of choice in most fraternity basements because of its low cost. Also likely to be found at almost every dormitory party. Drinking it without a grimace is difficult.

Beer-goggling -- Beer-goggling occurs when you reach the stage of inebriation where a tree begins to look sexually appealing. Can lead to grim, grim mornings.

BEMA -- The Big Empty Meeting Area, where you will start your Dartmouth Outing Club trip.

Birks -- Shoes of choice for crunchies. Most people where them only during the warmer months, crunchies are not afraid of throwing on a pair of brightly-colored wool socks.

Blitz -- Can be used as a noun or a verb. Blitz as a noun is an electronic-mail message sent via BlitzMail, the College's electronic-mail system. To blitz is to send a blitz. Got it?

Boot -- Hurl, blow chunks, spew, barf or vomit. It happens when you have too much beast and get past the first stages of beer-goggling.

Campus po' -- Our friends in green. Campus police or Safety and Security. Very fond of breaking up dorm parties and sending you off to Dick's House and then to your dean. Get ready for the call of "Campus po, drop your beers."

Circuit/house hopping -- To go to every Greek houses in a given night. Usually also entails a group chug in each basement.

Crunchy -- The type that are very fond of the food at Collis. Often go days or weeks without showering or shaving and are seen hanging out in Robinson Hall. Also known to wear birks or Tevas.

Doom Court -- A fine eating establishment. Known otherwise as Food Court. Beware of the late-night nachos!

Eccy -- For unknown reasons, the slang term for the economics department.

Emmit -- A New Hampshire resident who does not go to the College. Try to contain your laughter when you see them -- it wasn't their fault they were inbred.

Frat rat -- A non-brother who hangs out in a fraternity basement more than some of the brothers.

Freak -- Someone, shall we say, who is a bit out of the ordinary.

FroYo -- Slang for frozen yogurt. Best at Home Plate.

Full Boot/Jam/Scam -- The home of the big athletes. The official name is Full Fare, the College's all-you-can eat dining hall. It's called Full Boot for a reason ...

Glom -- Something done, often on the dance floor during slow songs, that often should be kept behind closed doors. A result of beer-goggling at times.

Govy -- The College's government department.

Granola -- See crunchy.

Gut -- A course that you feel kind of guilty taking when your parents are paying $25,000 a year for you to come here. Known often by single worlds like Myths, Ocens or Rocks.

H.B. -- The Hinman Boxes, the home of our mail. Hint to life at Dartmouth: if you get The Dartmouth (only $17), you are guaranteed to get mail Monday through Friday.

Hook-up -- Probably the most typical Dartmouth relationship, lasting less than, oh, two hours. But never fear! There also can be long-term hook-up relationships. Go figure.

H.T.H. -- Home Town Honey. The person you pledged your eternal love to in August and forgot about that one September night.

Joe -- The result of too much beast, EBAs pizza or trips to Full Fare.

LSPlay -- The nickname for the College's Language Study Abroad programs, which are rumored to be, uh, not overly strenuous.

Mung -- The cover of every fraternity basement floor. A combination of beer, boot and other fun things. Tends to stick to shoes.

ORC -- The Organizations, Regulations and Courses book that lists every College course.

Parkhursted -- To have the administration ask -- no tell -- you to take a bit of a vacation. Not advised.

Pong -- The game of choice in most fraternity basements. Usually two points for a sink, one for hitting the cup. Five points win. Figure out the rest.

Random -- Any non-Dartmouth person. Someone who looks both ways before crossing the streets in Hanover.

'Rents -- The people who sign the tuition checks and take you to Jesse's when they come up. (The parents, stupid!)

The Row -- Fraternity row, Webster Avenue. The street where most of the frats are.

Scam -- To flirt with a member of the opposite sex with the intent of pursuing some kind of romantic relationship.

Scope -- To look for potential scammers.

Ship -- Another popular drinking game at the College. A combination of pong and battleship. Not for lightweights.

'Shmen -- You're one of them!

'Shmenu -- A book with faces of all your classmates. Used for potential scams.

'Tails -- A party that has hard alcohol.

Ted -- A nerd. What else can you say? Someone who tools at midnight.

Tool -- No, not something a hoe or an ax. Someone who studies like there is no tomorrow -- often the night before a test or a paper.