Class of 1994 stats

The Class of 1994, like all classes, will be forever ensconced in the College's books, not only as names and faces, but as numbers and statistics.

For instance, in the fall of 1990, 1,064 students enrolled, 596 men and 468 women according to Assistant to the Dean of Upperclass Students Alison Gorman. The class included 50 African-Americans, 32 Native Americans, 62 Asians and 41 Hispanics, Gorman said.

There were 64 international students in the class and 34 transfers, Gorman said.

The class is composed of 122 high school valedictorians and 71 salutatorians.

Approximately 1,030 seniors will graduate today. About 145 of those will graduate with double majors, and a few will possibly have triple majors.

The most popular major for '94's was government followed by history, English, biology and psychology. The class' s average GPA at the end of Winter term was 3.233.

Five hundred ten of this year's seniors went on Language Study Abroad programs and Foreign Study Programs for a total of 582 terms.

Almost 90 percent of the class, 905 students, also participated in Dartmouth Outing Club trips.

But though an overwhelming majority of the class showed enthusiasm for physical activity by participating in the Freshman Trips, the department of physical education said 44 seniors waited until their very last term to fulfill the three-term physical education requirement needed for graduation. And, as of May 18, 25 students still had not passed the 50-yard swim test graduation requirement.

Although all the statistics will not be in on the '94's until later, the Class of 1994 will probably pursue similar post-graduation opportunities as past classes, said Career Services Director Bill Wright-Swadel.

In the past, typically about 23 to 25 percent of the class goes to some sort of graduate school immediately after graduation, either law school, medical school, arts and sciences programs or engineering school.

Sixty percent of the class enters the workforce right away in fields such as business, education, government, engineering or social services work, said Wright-Swadel

Assistant Career Services Director Daryl Gehman said close to 400 seniors participated in corporate recruiting this year.