Meat Puppets and Cracker on the menu at Collis Thursday

For Green Key Weekend's kick off event, the Programming Board has booked two alternative bands, Cracker and Meat Puppets to play tomorrow at 8 p.m.

Tickets for undergraduates are $14 and $18 for the general public and can be purchased at the Collis Information desk, Strawberries record store in West Lebanon and j.b. jammin' in Hanover.

The show will be general admission with seating available on the balcony level.

Cracker and Meat Puppets have both been labeled alternative bands and have both been featured in Rolling Stone magazine. Cracker's latest album, "Kerosene Hat" features the debut single "Low."

Lead singer David Lowery founded the band Camper Van Beethoven in 1984. Following their breakup in 1990, Lowery joined Johnny Hickman, a country song writer and guitar player and created Cracker. Cracker's first self-titled album debuted in 1992 featuring Lowery, Hickman, bassist Dave Faragher and Mike Urbano.

"We're not the really hyper-cool people, not the really trendy people, but we're a little weirder than John Mellencamp, a little weirder than R.E.M., a little weirder than Pearl Jam," Hickman said.

"We're music for the semi-hip and that's basically the strata of society where I've lived my entire life and where I want to be," he said.

In the latest issue of Rolling Stone, the Meat Puppets are featured as an up and coming alternative band. The Meat Puppets have appeared on MTV's Unplugged with Nirvana and are currently opening for Blind Mellon.

Their latest album is titled "Too High to Die."

The Meat Puppets' sound combines punk, country and classic guitar rock. Brothers Curt and Cris Kirkwood and Derrick Bostrom started playing informally in 1980.

With the appearance of Cracker and the Meat Puppets, the Programming Board continues its recent trend of bringing cutting-edge music to Webster Hall.