Assembly organized series on Holocaust

The Student Assembly is planning a speaker series for the end of the month to focus on the Holocaust.

The series, set to run from May 24 to 30, was prompted by the movie "Schindler's List" and the College's History 16 class, Representing the Holocaust: History, Memory, and Survival, said Jessica Roberts '97, one of the event's organizers.

The series will feature a keynote address by Holocaust expert James Young, a University of Massachusetts at Amherst professor.

Young will speak on "Memories of the Holocaust" on May 24.

Young "was recommended by Professor Leo Spitzer, a co-teacher of History 16 as an expert on the subject," Roberts said. She said Young will visit Dartmouth in between visits to Prague, Czechoslovakia and England to lecture on the same topic.

"The Student Assembly since January has been really concerned about Holocaust education," Assembly Vice president Steve Costalas '94 said. "I think for the first time it represents a commitment of working with an academic program to benefit the academic program and the Dartmouth Community in general."

The Assembly will fund the $500 cost of Young's lecture and other costs of the series, Roberts said. Costalas said he doubted the cost of the series would exceed $1,000.

Roberts said the Assembly is also attempting to contact Tobias Gutsman, a Holocaust survivor who now lives in the Upper Valley, to speak in the series.

The Assembly will ask Dartmouth professors participate in panels during the week, but "no professors have been secured yet," Roberts said.

The Assembly has also been working with the members of Hillel, the Jewish student organization, and College Rabbi Daniel Siegel to plan the event.

A poster show titled "The Art of Memory: Holocaust Memorials in History" will appear in Collis Common Ground May 30 to 31.

Assembly President Nicole Artzer '94, who thought of the series, is currently on a History 16 class trip to Washington, D.C. to visit the Holocaust museum and could not be reached for comment.