Tigers serve tennis first Ivy Loss

Last year's Ivy League champion Princeton ended the Dartmouth women's tennis team's undefeated streak in the Ivy League last weekend by a few instrumental points.

The loss brought the Big Green's overall record to 4-3.

The day was filled with bad luck for the Big Green, who began the match with two sick players. The Big Green fell behind early with a tough match for Kelly Olsen '97.

Trudy Muller '96 also lost, putting the Big Green at a disadvantage which they could not overcome.

The second and third position doubles teams won the crucial doubles point for the Big Green for the fourth match in a row.

The lone singles point for the Dartmouth team came from Debbie Healy '95, who bounced back after struggling early this season to defeat the number two player for the Tigers.

Kallie Buehler '97 lost her first match of the season in another close battle.

The last two matches of the day went to three sets, but Dartmouth could not pull out the victories.

"When you lose three set matches and close two set matches, the end result depends only on a few key points," Buehler said.

Coach Chris Kerr called the match disappointing.

"We certainly had a lot of chances, but we couldn't get the points on the board," she said.

Kerr said the biggest problem for the Dartmouth women right now seems to be performing up to their capability under pressure. She said the team will be looking to simulate match situations in practice and improve the team's overall performance in the singles matches.

The Big Green are still in position to win the Ivy League title. They are currently in a four way tie for first place, with Cornell, Princeton and Harvard, who suffered a surprise loss to Princeton on Friday.

The team will look to break out in front of the Ivy League race this weekend, when it hosts Yale and Brown.

"We're going to try to rebound and stay in first place," Kerr said. "[The loss to Princeton] was a team effort that fell short, and we're looking for a team effort once again that will put us over the top this weekend."