Sororities may change rush

The Panhellenic Council will vote tonight on four proposed sorority rush processes - including a lottery approach - to find one to implement Fall term.

The six sororities governed by Panhell voted on the new proposals in their house meetings last night. Tonight their Panhell representatives will collectively decide which proposal will go into effect for next year's rush.

In a BlitzMail message sent out to sorority members, Panhell Interim Rush Chair Marilyn Wren '96 outlined the four proposals.

Wren said the proposals have different aims, but "overall we want to make it a better experience for rushees."

Lottery system

The most radical proposal suggests a lottery system in which rushees would rank the houses on cards; the cards would be drawn from a hat; and women - in order of draw - would be matched with their first choice house that was not yet full. In this process, women would visit every house for two rounds of parties.

The present system consists of three rounds of parties. Each woman first visits all six houses; is invited back to a maximum of four parties in the second round; and may attend a maximum of three parties in the third round. The rushees then fill out preference cards, which are matched with the preferences of each sorority.

Inclusion efforts

Panhell President Melissa Trumbull '95 said the new proposals are part of an attempt to create a permanent rush system.

"The main goals we had in mind were to give every woman who wanted to be a part of the system a chance to be and to make each house as strong as possible," she said.

The sorority rush system was changed this past winter in an effort to allow more women to participate in a sorority.

New proposals

A second proposal requires that after two rounds of parties, women fill out a preference card, which must include all six houses and preferences are then matched the same way they are now.

In another proposal, after the first round, every woman who rushes would receive a minimum of three invitations to second round parties and must attend all three. If a woman receives four or more invitations she must attend four houses.

To insure every woman is invited back to at least three houses, each sorority would submit a list ranking all the women who were not on their invite list. A woman who received fewer than three invitations would then be automatically invited back to the house on whose list she was placed highest.

Each woman would receive at least two invitations to the third round, decided in the same manner as the second round. After the third round, houses would submit two lists: one of the women they would most like to offer membership; another of the rest of the women who rushed.

The lists would then be matched with the preference cards of the women until the houses reached their membership limits.

The 'wish-list'

In the final proposal, after the first round, women would complete a "wish-list" that ranked all six sororities. These lists would then be pulled from a hat and, in the order pulled, each woman would be invited back to her top four choices.

Following the second round, the women would be extended a minimum of two invitations.

After the third round, houses would prepare two lists: one of the women to whom they wish to offer bids; the other ranking the remaining women, including those cut after a previous round. Bid-matching would then proceed like this year.

Trumbull would not comment further on tonight's voting process or how the new system would be determined.

The six sororities in Panhell are Delta Delta Delta, Delta Gamma, Epsilon Kappa Theta, Kappa Delta Epsilon, Kappa, Kappa Gamma and Sigma Delta sororities.