Moore rules out charges

Director of Student Activities Tim Moore dismissed yesterday allegations that Student Assembly president-elect Danielle Moore '95 and vice president-elect Rukmini Sichitiu '95 overspent during their campaigns.

Justin Heather '96 filed a complaint with Tim Moore last Wednesday and followed it up the next day with an estimate of Danielle Moore's alleged overspending.

Heather claimed Danielle Moore spent at least $212 on her campaign. Election guidelines stipulate candidates can only spend up to $150.

Danielle Moore gave Tim Moore receipts of her campaign expenses, which totaled $147.50.

Tim Moore said he could not account for the discrepancies between Heather's allegations and Danielle Moore's receipts, but said there was no indication the president-elect overspent.

"The documents presented - actual receipts and copies of materials - indicate that they did not violate the election guidelines for campaign expenses," Tim Moore wrote to Heather, Danielle Moore and Sichitiu.

Heather's complaint included an itemized list of 10 campaign materials Danielle Moore produced, including his estimate of their quantity and cost.

"In each of these estimates I have consulted other candidates and attempted to acquire a rough estimate of the quantity of each item posted," Heather wrote in his complaint. "I then gave Miss Moore the benefit of the doubt and rounded those numbers down."

John Schumacher '67, the owner of Gnomon copy in Hanover, where Danielle Moore said she purchased all of her campaign materials, said he estimated she spent about $146.

Danielle Moore said she was pleased the charges against her have been dropped and for the clarification.

Heather, who is a writer for The Dartmouth Review, an off-campus conservative weekly, said last Thursday that he made the complaint because he did not think it was fair for Danielle Moore to "buy this office."

Heather said yesterday he was not upset with the decision to dismiss his allegations. "That is Tim Moore's determination and I assume that is the end of it," he said.

Although Heather said he thought Sichitiu also exceeded the spending limit, he did not include an itemized estimate of her spending in his complaint.

"I also feel that the vice-president overspent due to the number of posters," he wrote. "However, due to time constants I have been unable to pursue physical evidence."

Sichitiu said she spent $142.60 on her campaign. Sichitiu could not be reached for additional comment yesterday.