Festival of student performances draws heavy crowds

Hundreds of students flocked to the Hopkins Center Saturday night for the second annual "Rock the Hop," a six-hour extravaganza of student performances and artistic displays.

All throughout the center there were singers belting and crooning, a capella groups indulging in antics, light shows and displays dazzling the crowds, poets and actors reciting to enchanted audiences and of course, hordes of students milling around and taking it all in.

"I thought it was great. I was really excited about the whole thing. I thought it was a wonderful idea but I thought more students should have gotten involved" said Nickell Simpson '97, who plans to major in studio art and engineering. More than forty different groups gave performances or displayed their work; more signed up but several cancelled in the final week before the event.

After the stunning array of student talent, perhaps the physical transformation of the Hop itself was the most astonishing aspect of the evening.

The Top of the Hop seemed like an old-fashioned nightclub with its candelit tables and singers enchanting standing-room only crowds. The Courtyard Cafe seemed more like a coffeehouse with its candelight, wall hangings and guitar-strumming and harmonizing singers.

Justin Wells '95 and Daisy Alpert '95 were the final folk act to perform. "I thought it was outstanding. That was my first 'Rock the Hop.' I was off last term and I didn't know what to expect," said Wells.

As a social event, "Rock the Hop" was enormously successful.

"It was fantastic. I had a really good time. It was really nice to see so many people out not drinking," Jenna McArthy '95 said.

In addition to musical acts and dramatic performances, "Rock the Hop" featured showings of student films, poetry readings, demonstrations in the design studios, magic shows and improvisational comedy. The breathtaking range and high quality of student talent was set off in a wonderful way and showcased for the entire community.

Response from both performers and attendees was overwhelmingly positive, suggesting that perhaps 'Rock the Hop' should occur more frequently than just once a year.