Expansion plans finalized

The College released a finalized copy of its north campus expansion plan yesterday, detailing the College's look 20 years from now.

The final plan does not differ from the drafts reported last Spring in The Dartmouth. The latest plan includes the demolition of Bradley and Gerry Halls and the construction of new psychology and mathematics buildings.

The plan also calls for renovations to the area extending north from Baker Library to the old Mary-Hitchcock Memorial Hospital.

Although only three new buildings will be constructed in the next 20 years, the destruction of buildings and changes to the area's landscape will establish the footprint for future development.

Based on a "quad scheme," a landscaped open space as wide as Massachusetts Row will extend from the back of an expanded Baker Library to Maynard Street.

The new psychology and mathematics buildings will be constructed at the northern end of the quad, leaving room for future academic buildings in between.

The latest plan does not have new dormitories on the map. The expansion area primarily contains academic buildings.

The architectural firm Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates designed the plans.

According to the final plan, construction will move in three stages. In the first increment, between 1994 and 2000, the psychology department, which is currently housed in Bradley-Gerry and Silsby Halls, will move to a new facility on Maynard Street.

The new building will cost about $15 million, Director of Development Publications Jack DeGange said.

But DeGange said "effectively none" of the money to finance the construction of the psychology building has been raised.

The money will come form the $425 million Will to Excel Capital Campaign.

Webster Hall will also be renovated during this period to house the Special Collections Library, currently in Baker Library. Baker Library will be expanded to include a Berry Library addition, scheduled for completion by the year 2000.

Renovations of Webster Hall will cost around $10 million, Director of Facilities Planning Gordie DeWitt estimated. This amount also has not yet been raised.

DeWitt said the extension of Baker Library will cost around $50 million, which the College already obtained through donations.

The old hospital will be demolished during this time although no building is planned for that location.

The second increment will occur from 2001 to 2005. In this period a new facility for Mathematics/Computer Science will be constructed on Maynard Street, to the east of the psychology building, and will be linked to the recently completed Sudikoff Laboratory for Computer Science.

Bradley and Gerry will be demolished during this period.

The second increment also includes the possibility of constructing a single level underground parking garage to accommodate 228 cars.

The garage would align with the basement levels of Gerry and Bradley and the Library addition. The garage would provide visitor or VIP parking.

The third increment, from 2006 to beyond, outlines the areas that will be available for the development of further academic buildings.

Not all land the concept plan intends to develop is owned by Dartmouth.

DeWitt said the College is planning to acquire the backyards of Phi Tau and Alpha Theta coed houses and perhaps part of the land owned by the Church of Christ on College Street.

A town meeting is planned to discuss the proposed plan. DeWitt said he expects little opposition from residents.

"Because we plan carefully and plan with communication with the community, the plan ends up having everyone be a part of it," DeWitt said.