Cook '94 misses court

Nate Cook '94 failed to appear in Lebanon District Court yesterday for his arraignment on charges of hazing a Beta Theta Pi fraternity pledge.

Cook's arraignment was scheduled for 9 a.m. He had not arrived in the courtroom when the judge called his case at about 9:50 a.m.

Judge Albert Cirone mentioned issuing a $500 bench warrant for Cook's arrest, but Jane Marchetti, a court assistant, said Cook's failure to appear was a "mix-up." Because of the confusion, Marchetti said Cirone will probably not issue a warrant.

If a bench warrant were issued, Police would arrest Cook, bring him into court to be arraigned and require him to post $500 in bail before releasing him.

Marchetti said she did not know when Cook's arraignment will take place next. Cook could not be reached for comment.

Cook missed his first scheduled arraignment on March 9 at the Hanover District Court and later requested that it be postponed, according to Darcy Stearns, the clerk for the Hanover District Court.

Hanover judges moved Cook's arraignment last week to Lebanon, citing a conflict of interest with the case as the reason.

Hazing is a Class B misdemeanor that is punishable by fines up to $1,200. The offense is not punishable by jail.

David Robb '94, another Beta brother charged with hazing the same pledge, pleaded not guilty two weeks ago. His trial is scheduled for May 24 in Lebanon, Marchetti said. Lebanon attorney Mark Larsen will represent him.

Robb's case was also transferred last week from Hanover District Court to Lebanon's for the same reason.

Hanover Police arrested Cook and Robb on Feb. 27 and charged them with violating New Hampshire's hazing law.

Police alleged that Cook and Robb forced Oge Young '96, a Beta pledge Fall term, to drink unsafe levels of alcohol during a fraternity initiation process.

"The pledge became intoxicated to the point that his personal safety was put into jeopardy," a police statement said.

Police Detective Richard Paulson said Young returned to a residence hall intoxicated after the pledge function.

A student who allegedly overheard Young talking about the night's activities told administrators in the Office of Residential Life about the possible violation of the state's hazing law.

ORL passed the allegation to Dean of the College Lee Pelton, who in turn notified Hanover Police.

New Hampshire state law requires colleges and universities to report hazing incidents to the police.