Behind the Slogans

A campaign manager is not a necessity to run for Student Assembly president, but no candidate can design and plaster the campus with posters and promises to save the Student Assembly all by him or herself.

From friends hanging posters to strangers giving the candidates ideas, more than 50 people are working behind the scenes to help the five presidential candidates with their campaigns.

While presidential candidates Jim Brennan '96 and Kenji Sugahara '95 have small campaign teams, Jeremy Katz '95 is running his campaign with a larger base of supporters and Danielle Moore '95 and Caleb Scott '97 are working mostly alone.

Mark Cicirelli '96 has been assisting Brennan with his presidential campaign since Brennan began preparations about four weeks ago.

Cicirelli, who spends more than three hours a day helping Brennan, said those working on the campaign assist Brennan in organizing his ideas.

"We're there to hear what he has to say and then give him our impression," Cicirelli said.

Kenji Sugahara '95 said he has a group of friends helping him with his campaign.

Sugahara said he began to think about his campaign over Spring break but did not begin preparations until five days before the campaign period began. He said he will have put up 1,160 posters by the time of the election.

Sugahara said running a campaign includes thinking of a lot of little things, such as "getting to meetings with groups of people, having enough materials when running around, enough buttons, enough posters, enough staples. You get the idea," he said.

Both Katz and Moore said they have organized most of their campaigns by themselves.

Moore said "depending on how much notification time I give to those whose help I need, and how much there is to do," there are anywhere from one to seven people assisting her campaign.

"Some people have been around for me to bounce ideas off of ... some have helped with putting up posters ... but other than that I've done everything," Moore said.

Katz said he is the sole organizer of his platform, but he said between 20 and 30 people have assisted him with hanging posters and other small tasks.