Baseball splits with Bears

Coming back from three runs down to lose by only one far from satisfied the Dartmouth baseball team. Coming back from four runs down to win by two was more like it.

The Big Green (8-13 overall, 4-5 Ivy) split its Sunday doubleheader in Providence with Brown University (4-19, 3-7), losing the opener 4-3 before rebounding to a 13-11 victory. The schools dueled yesterday in two games rescheduled from Saturday's rainout.

First baseman Todd Seneker '95 led the way for Dartmouth in the closer, clubbing a two-run homer. Third baseman Jake Isler '96 added three RBI on a double and a triple and catcher Greg Gilmer '96 clubbed three hits.

"Obviously, I'm pleased that we were able to come back again after falling behind, especially when you consider the number of young players that were involved in the rally," Coach Bob Whalen said. "That was a game we had to win."

The Big Green felt it necessary to win the nightcap because its comeback effort in the first game had fallen short. Brown hurler Jamie Stanzler (3-2) prevented a successful Dartmouth rally. He outdueled Steve Murphy '94 (3-2), striking out 10 and walking none while going the distance.

Isler began his hot Sunday by going 2-for-3, with an RBI and two runs scored. Designated hitter Travis Horton '96 solidified his position as one of the team's leading offensive threats with a 2-for-3 performance, including a double and an RBI.

Brown's Ravi Malick hit a two-run homer in the fifth to give the Bears their decisive four run total.

The Bears' four run effort in the first game may have been decisive, but their four run lead in the second clearly was not. Now that's more like it.