Women's hockey falls

It was not the Dartmouth women's hockey team's turn in the spotlight this weekend, as the Big Green fell in the first round of the ECAC playoffs to the top seated Lady Friars of Providence College.

The team, which entered the game with a record 14-9-2, gave up an early goal, but held the score to 1-0 going into the final period. Up until the third period, the game was much more even than the final score of 4-1 suggests.

But the Dartmouth women broke down towards the end of the game and fell victim to three more goals by the Lady Friars' offense.

The only goal for the Big Green came in the third period from Kim Reid '94.

Despite the loss, Dartmouth outshot Providence, last year's Division I champions, 25-20.

The Big Green, who had gained their playoff birth by defeating Colby College, travelled to Providence with hopes of avenging their last outing with Providence, but came up short.

"We played a good game," Coach George Crowe said. "We felt the teams were pretty well matched, but we didn't finish like we usually do, and their offense really did."

The game marked the end of the Dartmouth careers of senior tri-captains Reid, Gretchen Ulion and Kim Cohen.

"This has been an incredibly strong senior class and we're going to really miss their talents next year," Crowe said.

Ulion recently broke the all-time Ivy League women's hockey scoring record, and is also the all-time high scorer for Dartmouth men's and women's hockey. A strong candidate for the national team, Ulion finished the season with 40 goals and 36 assists.

"It was definitely disappointing not to win this one, but overall it was a really great season," she said.

Reid led the Ivy League this year on defense with 57 points and made her mark on the Dartmouth offensive line with 37 points.