Tuck ranks seventh

The Amos Tuck School of Business Administration moved up another notch in U.S. News and World Report's most current guide to the best graduate schools.

The annual guide, which came out March 21, ranked Tuck seventh among national business schools and said deans and heads of M.B.A. programs rated Tuck as the best in business communications.

For the past three years, Tuck has increased its rank steadily in U.S. News and World Report's guide. The magazine placed Tuck eighth last year and 10th in 1992.

The survey also ranked engineering and medical schools. The College's Thayer School of Engineering placed 43rd but the Dartmouth Medical School was not ranked.

John Kavanaugh, the College's director of grants and contacts, said Dartmouth ranks "around 60" for research-funded medical schools.

Medical school administrators were unavailable for comment yesterday. Thayer administrators could also not be reached for comment.

The U.S. News and World Report business school rankings are based on a combination of factors including academic reputation as determined by both graduate school deans and 2,000 corporate leaders, student selectivity, placement success and graduation rates.

In the survey, Tuck's academic reputation ranking jumped to seventh from ninth a year ago, although its reputation among corporate leaders stuck at number 10.

Besides ranking first in communications, Tuck also maintained it's number five spot in the specialty field of general management for the second consecutive year.

Edward Fox, who will step down as dean of the Tuck school in August, said he was pleased with the results and was encouraged by the favorable coverage Tuck has received recently in school guides and national surveys.

"What's to say? The school is amongst great institutions," he said. "We're just pleased these rating groups care about the school."

Tuck received an over-all score of 97.5 out of 100, up from 90.0 last year and 85.0 the year before.

Business schools at Stanford University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University placed in the top three spots.

Duke University's Fuqua Business School, which was ranked seventh last year, slid to ninth despite gaining slightly more than five points over last year's score.