The Good, The Bad and The NRO

We're all back in Hanover now and facing the somewhat unpleasant notion of three new classes. Many of you undoubtedly find yourselves scrambling to choose that third class each term and, to make your life easier, I have compiled a modest list of courses which I have found to be quite palatable, and others which are a bit less so.

I have slaved for almost three years here in Hanover to bring you this valuable information. While some of you may disagree with my opinions on these courses, please do not write an angry letter to the editor or send me a bomb in the mail. This column is, after all, simply the result of my relentless desire to make use of my low interest down payment on the Halls of Wisdom and pass the savings on to you.

I have divided the following courses up into the fortunate and the unfortunate for ease in reading. I cannot endeavor to comment on these same courses taught by a professor I have not experienced.

The Unfortunates:

1) Anthropology 7: This is the study of different cultures and particularly how they prefer to prepare their yams. While the reading was interesting at times, unless you brought a Mr. Coffee to lecture, you could not hope to stay awake.

2) Religion 11: This course gives an introduction to morality and ethics with numerous (read "hundreds of") case studies. Professor Ronald Green is very bright and enthusiastic, but unless you enjoy reserve reading and passage identification tests, I'd recommend that you spend the 10 weeks circumnavigating Occom Pond instead.

3) Biology 13: The topic of this one is Vertebrate Physiology. It sure sounds interesting but, unfortunately, it really isn't. The professor is a very nice guy but has trouble keeping your attention.

4) Economics 1: This is the one we've all dreaded. While it certainly is an important course to have under your belt, several factors contribute to its presence in the "unfortunates." a) You can't slap an NRO on it; b) It's really hard, especially for those of us ignorant of social science; and c) It will bring down your G.P.A.

5) History 4: This one is European history since 1715. Avoid this course like the plague unless you like to read - a lot. Also, the Mr. Coffee would be useful in this class as well.

The Fortunates:

1) Biology 2: Professor George Cahill creatively introduces students to the dynamics of human biology in a well-designed and interesting course. Cahill is not only a bright and funny man, but he succeeds in conveying scientific material to people not interested in science. Need a science credit? Take this.

2) Religion 1: The professors of this class change every term, but the syllabus does not. This course features fascinating material presented in an easy-to-learn format with only a midterm and final. Professor Hans Penner is by far the most incredible instructor I've ever encountered and Ronald Green is very good as well. This one is a must.

3) Music 2: If you're a music enthusiast, you'll enjoy this class, which provides a concise introduction to music theory. While the material is at times quite dense, Professor Paul Moravec is always available to answer questions and there is even a T.A. to assist him. Thumbs up.

4) Spanish 7: This course involves writing and speaking the Spanish language and is great for those of us not interested in massive amounts of literature. With Professor Christina Duplaa, this was a very practical class and even fun at times.

5) Religion 7: Take this course and learn about the Christian Tradition in 10 short weeks. Professor Fred Berthold succeeds in traversing two milennia in a short time and making it understandable and very interesting. The grading was fair, too. I highly recommend it.

I hope these recommendations prove useful. Whatever the case, enjoy mud season and have a good Spring '94.