Papers name editors

Last week three student publications, The Beacon, The Dartmouth Review and Spare Rib, selected new editors in chief, who will assume their positions next term.

Farouk Ladha '96, who succeeds Matt Calkins '95, will become the fifth editor of The Beacon, a conservative monthly publication.

Daniel Garcia-Diaz '95 will become the 16th editor of the Review, the off-campus conservative weekly. He is currently the paper's executive editor and will replace Oron Strauss '95 as editor in chief next term.

Erika Meitner '96 will take over the leadership of Spare Rib, a women's issues paper that comes out once a term, replacing Claire Unis '95. Meitner is the paper's fourth editor.

Two of the newly appointed editors said they will keep the focus of their papers running in the same general direction as this year, but will try to enhance different aspects of their respective publications.

"Too many papers come and go," Meitner said. "I want to establish Spare Rib as something with staying power."

Spare Rib was formed in 1992 by a group of students, mostly female, to display the challenges and victories of Dartmouth women.

In recent terms, Spare Rib has focused on women's health issues and women's views on sex. Meitner said she plans to continue the idea of a theme-oriented publication.

"Since we only publish once a term, each issue will continue to have a theme," Meitner said. "Whatever theme is instituted on a particular term will be the direction the paper takes."

Ladha said he wants to maintain the ideas behind The Beacon but make several physical changes, specifically concerning the layout and frequency of publication, which he said he hopes to increase from monthly to bi-weekly.

"I want the paper to look more professional by making the layout nicer," Ladha said. "Every issue this year, the layout has been better and better, and I want to keep building on that."

But Ladha said the paper will stick to its main goals, continuing "to be a method of conservative intellectual expression that doesn't aim to offend or upset people."

Ladha said the Beacon was formed three years ago by Andrew Bare '93, a member of the Review who wanted to produce a conservative alternative to the Review.

Ladha said the key differences between the two publications are that The Beacon "is a medium for conservative expression that relies on the intellect as opposed to upsetting people to get their attention" and that it is a pro-Dartmouth newspaper.

Ladha said he is relying on an increase in advertising to fund the paper's additional issues.

The Beacon and Spare Rib are College-recognized publications with office space in Robinson Hall.

The Review is run out of an office located on Main Street and is financed mostly through alumni support.

All of the publications are handed out to students for free.

Garcia-Diaz and Strauss did not return telephone and electronic mail messages last night.