Fox to resign as Tuck dean

The dean of the Amos Tuck School of Business Administration resigned last week after he was denied a second four-year term. The decision follows what administrators called "a standard review."

The resignation of Dean Edward Fox has prompted speculation and shock among some professors about the circumstances surrounding his departure.

Fox, who plans to leave Aug. 31 when his first term ends, said he was "disappointed" by the com-mittee's decision. He also expressed regret that he will not have the opportunity to complete some nascent programs.

Graduate school deans are regularly reviewed at the end of their tenures, acting Provost Bruce Pipes said. The College president and provost head the reviews.

In a memorandum to the Tuck faculty last Friday, Freedman explained his decision to accept Fox's resignation. Pipes said yesterday that he and the President plan to talk to the Tuck faculty within the next 10 days about a search process for Fox's successor.

"I have decided to accept his resignation, but with a keen sense of gratitude for all that he has done for the Tuck School and for Dartmouth College," College President James Freedman wrote in the three-paragraph memorandum.

Freedman was out of town yesterday and could not be reached for comment. Other top administrators, including Pipes and Fox, were reluctant to provide details of the review process.

"Dean Fox has substantial accomplishments in the area of fundraising and increasing diversity, both in the student body and the faculty," Pipes said. He referred questions of the review process to Freedman.

Some Tuck professors said they were shocked by the resignation and unsure why Freedman decided not to reappoint Fox. Many alluded to a possible falling out between Freedman and Fox.

"Possibly, somehow he had some falling out with the President," said John Shank, professor of managerial accounting and management control.

Applied Statistics Professor Victor McGee said, "It seemed precipitous. We only found out Friday and it seems like very short notice. I have no knowledge of anything grave or nasty or anything that would have lead to it."

Fox said he would rather not speculate as to why Freedman decided not to reappoint him.

Around Thanksgiving, Pipes sent a letter to Tuck professors soliciting their opinions about Fox - beginning the standard review process, Shank said.

Fox said he spoke with Freedman in February and expressed his desire to continue as dean for another four years.

Fox said in late February Freedman asked him to stay on for one year, but not for another four-year stint. He said he turned down the offer because "being a lame duck didn't make much sense."

Under Fox's leadership, Tuck has consistently moved up through the top 10 national rankings. He has striven to diversify the school's professors and students, globalize its academics and opportunities, and revamp the curriculum.

Tuck is currently at the tail-end of a $35 million capital campaign that originally was set at $27 million. "The place is in really good shape," Tuck Director of Communications Paul Argenti said. "A lot of that is thanks to him."

Before coming to Tuck in 1990, Fox founded and ran the Student Loan Marketing Association, which is commonly known as Sallie Mae, a Forbes 500 company.

Fox is the first dean of Tuck who did not come from an academic background, Argenti said.

Fox said he hasn't "the foggiest" idea about what he will do next.

Pipes said there was no mention of Fox becoming a Tuck professor after August.