SAGE starts discussion

Sexual Awareness through Greek Education held their fourth meeting of the term last night to practice a discussion technique they eventually hope to bring to the entire Greek community.

Thirteen representatives from Greek houses attended the SAGE meeting at Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority. The group changed its name this term from Greeks Against Rape in an effort to redefine its image.

Last night's discussion was led by SAGE co-Chairs Doug Scott '94, a member of Alpha Delta fraternity, and Aliza Waksal '96 from KDE.

The group was practicing the "continuum" method of discussion, which tries to get people to talk freely and openly about sensitive issues without fear that they will be judged.

Scott said the group will be trained by Coordinator of Sexual Assault/Awareness Programs Heather Earleto lead continuums on a large scale basis sometime later this term or next term, and hopes to implement the discussions next Fall term.

"Its something we've done it the past, but it hasn't occurred much over the last year," Scott said. "It has a very positive effect."

The discussion this week was about "basement behavior," and it focused on issues of responsibility in sexual relations that start in fraternity basement, especially when alcohol is involved.